setting up a Nano tank for my elderly mother...

I was in a Walmart last week and passed through the pet section. I saw a 1.5 gallon tank marketed for bettas. I hid it behind other items on the shelf so that other customers wouldn't see it.

I still wouldn't keep shrimps in a something that small. Don't forget shrimps still need a filter and heater, and I have no idea how to fit those in 1.5 gallons :unsure:

I was in a Walmart last week and passed through the pet section. I saw a 1.5 gallon tank marketed for bettas. I hid it behind other items on the shelf so that other customers wouldn't see it.
We need more people like you! It's crazy that people are STILL selling that crap, it's not that hard to get a 5 gallon tank.

well she has a "betta heater" that my sister sent her already

I just bought a little tiny air pump, and a set of these... ( says they are for "tanks" up to 5 gallons )

I think sufficient for a couple shrimp??? add a few emerging plants & an LED halo light I might be able to pull it off???

I think the heater is like this

I think that sounds good. I love that heater, I have it in all of my tanks. But if it is not that heater, most heaters don't have a pre-built in thermostat, so the tank will get to 100 degrees in 10 minutes. Especially in a small tank. Honestly, shrimp don't need a heater, they prefer temps at 70-75. How many shrimp are you thinking? 4 is probably good, I'd get reds, blues, and other colors so you will see them a lot more.

You could probably get a bladder snails for free somewhere, like at the local fish store.

I was thinking 3-4 shrimp
I have a bladder infestation in one of my tanks... I could just pull a big one out of there ( recently added 1 assassin ) will likely need to add more, I got a slug of them I didn't see in 8 bunches of Java fern that went into that tank

Yes, just pull the biggest one. I think shrimp eat snail eggs too, so that could help keep the population down.

To be honest, I don't think I'd keep anything except plants in a 1.5 gallon/5.7 litre 'tank'
You could probably make something very visually appealing. A nice little underwater pebble garden with some column feeders.

It's hard. What would she want? If my kids put snails in a tank for me I'd disown them and change my name.
A football themed tank that small? It can't keep fish alive in it. It's just too small to be stable enough. They wouldn't be able to move anyway. I use 2.5g tanks for miniscule freshly hatched fry, and then only for their first 3 weeks. Beyond that, I get losses.
I don't follow American football to know if atank with nothing but losses would be accurate for the Vikings. It would be tough on the poor fish.

Most reactions

Back