Marineland Penguin 150 Media Question

Joe_Shafe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just bought a new Penguin 150 for my soon to be 10 gallon planted tank. I was wondering if the filter would still run fine if I took the carbon out of the filter pad that came with it (because carbon can mess up plants) then behind where the pad slides in put one foam filter insert, then a bag of ceramic filter rings then another sponge. I'll add a link to the pics hopefully it will work and give you a better idea as to what I mean.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeshafe/sets/72157631282138124/

Thanks,
-Joe :)

Yes the filter will run fine regardless of the media you choose to put in there. However you should use media that acts as a mechanical filter, a chemical filter and a biological filter to better insure that the water is clear and clean of high levels of toxins such as nitrites, ammonia and heavy metals.

The reason I would like to remove the carbon is because I will be planting the tank and carbon can absorb a lot of necessary chemicals for plants as well as fertilizer that I will be needing to use. So if I take the carbon out will I be alright besides maybe cloudy water?

I don't see why the water would be cloudy, even without the carbon. It'll be fine as long as the media is cycled.

You do not need to keep carbon in the filter. Especially carbon fiber cartridges. Just pack it with bio max cylinders the break up the flow of water (and settle debris), then a sponge to catch fine debris. And all of it will grow helpful bacteria.

So add more of the ceramic filters and only one sponge?

I was simply voting for any combination of ceramic and sponges that you like, and voting against carbon. So whatever you want is fine in those categories. Hard to go wrong.

Most reactions

Back