Marineland 27 Cube

FishLover66

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all, It looks like things are coming along with my tank since the pH seems to be holding steady at 6.8, ammonia is going down (currently 0.25) and nitrates are rising. No fish have died in the past week and the remaining fish look much healthier and happier, so things are definitely looking up. Not planning on adding anything for at least another couple of weeks (still closely monitoring things), but have been using this time to do some research and check local fish stores.

I'm considering doing an Amazonian biotope since I already have a school of marble hatchets and neons and want to get an angel or two. I'm also debating whether or not to start replacing the plastic plants I have in my tank with real ones over time.

So my tank is 20W x 20T x 18D with a glass top and double-bright LED 'sun' light and 'moon' light. Well-planted (plastic) with a 'tree trunk' and rock cave on sand/gravel substrate. 100W heater set at 79 F and an Aquaclear 30, which I plan on upgrading to a 50 eventually. I currently have six neons and 3 marble hatches, but plan on getting three more.

2hp555e.jpg
<- first time I'm using this website, so not sure if it's going to work.

2zs3ces.jpg

So, as far as stocking, my question is, should I just get one Angelfish or can I fit two safely? I would like to keep to fish from the Amazon, so I was thinking of a small school of cories (4), one or two otos (not sure if they are schoolers or not) and MAYBE a pair of dwarf cichlids. Any ideas?

And as far as planting this tank.... it's on the tall side (20") and Marineland suggests plants that need moderate lighting....I really don't want to complicate things and want SIMPLE maintenance & NOT expensive. Do I need anything fancy to maintain plants or is the double-bright LED lighting sufficient? Or should I just stick with what I have for now?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I cant really make any suggestions to your questions, but I thought I'd just say that your tank looks great! I really like the set up. Good job :)

tbh, your tank is a bit too small in terms of length for angelfish. They get pretty big, I'd avoid anything smaller than 30 inches long and 18 inches of water height (not tank height) if you plan to keep them. Since your tank is only 20 inches long, I'd recommend avoiding them.

They can also be more aggressive than their reputation suggests. I'd actually say they are a pretty aggressive species. I'd be worried about your betta fish. Also, neon tetras are their natural food source. Some people keep them with angels successfully, others end up with neons becoming an expensive snack.

In terms of live plants, I have anubias species and a few java ferns that are thriving in my 37 gallon, which is using normal, non double bright LED's, and it is 2 feet tall. I don't really maintain them, sometimes adding some plant food after water changes if I remember to. They pretty much just take care of themselves. Specifically, 2 java ferns, 2 anubias nana, and 2 anubias barteri.

In terms of dwarf cichlids, I'm gonna have to recommend a pair of bolivian rams. They're peaceful, tough as nails, and full of personality.

I cant really make any suggestions to your questions, but I thought I'd just say that your tank looks great! I really like the set up. Good job :)

Thank you SO much! I basically drove my family crazy with setting it up--took FOREVER for me to find what I wanted (I'm kind of OCD when I get involved in something). :)

tbh, your tank is a bit too small in terms of length for angelfish. They get pretty big, I'd avoid anything smaller than 30 inches long and 18 inches of water height (not tank height) if you plan to keep them. Since your tank is only 20 inches long, I'd recommend avoiding them.

They can also be more aggressive than their reputation suggests. I'd actually say they are a pretty aggressive species. I'd be worried about your betta fish. Also, neon tetras are their natural food source. Some people keep them with angels successfully, others end up with neons becoming an expensive snack.

In terms of live plants, I have anubias species and a few java ferns that are thriving in my 37 gallon, which is using normal, non double bright LED's, and it is 2 feet tall. I don't really maintain them, sometimes adding some plant food after water changes if I remember to. They pretty much just take care of themselves. Specifically, 2 java ferns, 2 anubias nana, and 2 anubias barteri.

In terms of dwarf cichlids, I'm gonna have to recommend a pair of bolivian rams. They're peaceful, tough as nails, and full of personality.

Thanks for the suggestions! I really love Angelfish, so I'm kind of bummed, but not surprised. They DO get big and I wouldn't want them to be too cramped. I definitely want a fish with personality, which is one of the reasons why I love the Angelfish (well, that and their grace and beauty). Bolivian rams have been suggested to me before, so they are looking good. What about the German rams? Someone suggested Kribs to me, but they are from Africa, right? Definitely want to stick to Amazonian fish. Also, I'm so relieved to hear that the plants you have don't really need much care.....I'm constantly hearing that plants need CO2, special lighting, food, care, etc., so it was kind of putting me off....

Thank you SO much! I basically drove my family crazy with setting it up--took FOREVER for me to find what I wanted (I'm kind of OCD when I get involved in something).

No worries! I know how it feels. I spent hours just trying to get the coral 'right' in my tank. And it's always such a good feeling when someone likes what you've created especially since you've put so much hard work into it.
It really does look great :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I really love Angelfish, so I'm kind of bummed, but not surprised. They DO get big and I wouldn't want them to be too cramped. I definitely want a fish with personality, which is one of the reasons why I love the Angelfish (well, that and their grace and beauty). Bolivian rams have been suggested to me before, so they are looking good. What about the German rams? Someone suggested Kribs to me, but they are from Africa, right? Definitely want to stick to Amazonian fish. Also, I'm so relieved to hear that the plants you have don't really need much care.....I'm constantly hearing that plants need CO2, special lighting, food, care, etc., so it was kind of putting me off....
German Blue Rams are a lot more touchy than bolivians, it's not uncommon for me to hear stories around the forums and stores of them dying for no particular reason, or for really small reasons. They also require a higher temp of the lower to mid 80's, which limits your stocking of common fish pretty drastically.

I'd honestly not recommend kribensis, they tend to be more aggressive than other dwarf cichlids. And they are african, yes.

There are a few plants which will need CO2 systems and such, but anubias species, java ferns, and most moss things are pretty self sustaining.

German Blue Rams are a lot more touchy than bolivians, it's not uncommon for me to hear stories around the forums and stores of them dying for no particular reason, or for really small reasons. They also require a higher temp of the lower to mid 80's, which limits your stocking of common fish pretty drastically.

I'd honestly not recommend kribensis, they tend to be more aggressive than other dwarf cichlids. And they are african, yes.

There are a few plants which will need CO2 systems and such, but anubias species, java ferns, and most moss things are pretty self sustaining.

Ok, points taken. Definitely don't want a touchy fish that could die for no apparent reason! Plus I don't want to be that limited as to which fish to place in the tank.

So.... if I go with the pair of Bolivian rams, what other fish (from the Amazon) would you recommend? Would I be able to fit another pair of dwarf cichlids (different or same type) or will that cause too much drama? I do plan on getting a small school of cory cats and an oto or two, maybe some shrimp, but I don't think any of them come from the Amazon?

Ok, points taken. Definitely don't want a touchy fish that could die for no apparent reason! Plus I don't want to be that limited as to which fish to place in the tank.

So.... if I go with the pair of Bolivian rams, what other fish (from the Amazon) would you recommend? Would I be able to fit another pair of dwarf cichlids (different or same type) or will that cause too much drama? I do plan on getting a small school of cory cats and an oto or two, maybe some shrimp, but I don't think any of them come from the Amazon?
Only 1 pair of cichlids would do it in. There would probably be a lot of bickering otherwise. Otoclinus I believe are indeed from the amazon, as well as a lot of, if not all, cory catfish. However, Cory's and otos are both schooling fish, so you'll need 6 of each, at least. Oto's are also sensitive to new tanks, so you'll need to wait for about 6 or so months (according to what I read, I've never kept them myself) before adding them to the tank.

There are smaller cory's out there such as pygmy and panda cories which will work out great, and maybe some larger ones such as julii cories or peppered cories will work out as well, but I can't specifically name off where any of these species come from. You can easily look it up online, or ask around here on the forums if needed.

A for amazonian schooling fish, It's better to have 1 large school of a middle and top swimmer than a bunch of smaller ones. Pick a species from the amazon that you really like, and get as many of them as you can fit in that tank with the rest of your stocking. It'll look better, and the fish will behave a lot better as well. Most tetras will certainly do the trick.

On a side note, I believe betta fish are from Asia, not South America. Is that guy a permanent resident, or just testing the water? :lol:

Only 1 pair of cichlids would do it in. There would probably be a lot of bickering otherwise. Otoclinus I believe are indeed from the amazon, as well as a lot of, if not all, cory catfish. However, Cory's and otos are both schooling fish, so you'll need 6 of each, at least. Oto's are also sensitive to new tanks, so you'll need to wait for about 6 or so months (according to what I read, I've never kept them myself) before adding them to the tank.

There are smaller cory's out there such as pygmy and panda cories which will work out great, and maybe some larger ones such as julii cories or peppered cories will work out as well, but I can't specifically name off where any of these species come from. You can easily look it up online, or ask around here on the forums if needed.

A for amazonian schooling fish, It's better to have 1 large school of a middle and top swimmer than a bunch of smaller ones. Pick a species from the amazon that you really like, and get as many of them as you can fit in that tank with the rest of your stocking. It'll look better, and the fish will behave a lot better as well. Most tetras will certainly do the trick.

On a side note, I believe betta fish are from Asia, not South America. Is that guy a permanent resident, or just testing the water? :lol:

Unfortunately, I no longer have the betta. He was the last to die after I added the hatches. I had moved him up from a 10g, which was obviously a big mistake--lesson learned. He was way too stressed in the larger & taller tank. He was a great fish though--tons of personality and very 'pretty'. So it's definitely a go for the amazonian tank.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the betta. He was the last to die after I added the hatches. I had moved him up from a 10g, which was obviously a big mistake--lesson learned. He was way too stressed in the larger & taller tank. He was a great fish though--tons of personality and very 'pretty'. So it's definitely a go for the amazonian tank.
Sorry to hear that.. He was pretty, indeed.

Most reactions

Back