Male Peacock Gudgeon hiding or dead?

Over feeding, quite easy to do when you only have two fish in a tank. You really need to find the body as ammonia will affect the other fish. Try to find it dead or alive!!
True, but my snails eat everything that falls... I even specially feed them by dropping a pinch of nice size pellets down so they fan eat... Its usually always gone by the next day or in a few hours

The Great Fish Mystery

Did he leave the aquarium on his own?
Did he leave the aquarium with help from his partner in crime?
Was he pushed or did he fall?
Is he hiding and being mischievious?

In all seriousness.....it appears that this fish has taught you a very important lesson matey. I think you might have to accept that he has gone and that maybe...just maybe...these fish were a little too advanced for you. Fishkeeping is alot of trial and error at times and we have all learnt things the hard way when making the long and potholed journey of keeping fish alive and healthy

Chalk this up as something not to repeat and keep the stocking simple in future, at least until you have several years of fishkeeping under your belt, have a place of your own where you can concentrate on the fish without distractions like schooling and family and have researched more on the more moderate to advanced species.

Any joy? Can you post a pic of the tank please I’m interested in the size of the tank that the fish might be missing in.

The Great Fish Mystery

Did he leave the aquarium on his own?
Did he leave the aquarium with help from his partner in crime?
Was he pushed or did he fall?
Is he hiding and being mischievious?

In all seriousness.....it appears that this fish has taught you a very important lesson matey. I think you might have to accept that he has gone and that maybe...just maybe...these fish were a little too advanced for you. Fishkeeping is alot of trial and error at times and we have all learnt things the hard way when making the long and potholed journey of keeping fish alive and healthy

Chalk this up as something not to repeat and keep the stocking simple in future, at least until you have several years of fishkeeping under your belt, have a place of your own where you can concentrate on the fish without distractions like schooling and family and have researched more on the more moderate to advanced species.
I dont think their "too advanced"... Maybe they are a little harder to keep but honestly I think he got stuck in a rock and died... I cant find em anywhere... The female has been going strong though! I see one good thing out of this though... I wasnt going to add any more Gudgeons due tothe male being aggressive BUT dont think I'm going to go tothe store and add more... I am going to wait a LONG time... So now my plans are to add the schooling fish in 3-5 months down the road IF all goes well and then 3-5 months AFTER that I will try adding 3 more gudgeons... My female isn't aggressive and has only acted in "defence" towards the male... So until I find the fish I am going to assume he is dead from trying to put his body in a hole way too small and then he was able to get in but couldnt get out... I think I have learned not to use dragon rock for small bottom dwellers that like tight spaces...
Any joy? Can you post a pic of the tank please I’m interested in the size of the tank that the fish might be missing in.
No luck finding him... I am about to do an ammonia test on the tank... The tank size is a 20 gallon high. In inches it is 24×12×16... Ive had these two fish for apx 2-3 months... Here is a pic I just took this morning:
0310221051.jpg

I dont think their "too advanced"... Maybe they are a little harder to keep but honestly I think he got stuck in a rock and died... I cant find em anywhere... The female has been going strong though! I see one good thing out of this though... I wasnt going to add any more Gudgeons due tothe male being aggressive BUT dont think I'm going to go tothe store and add more... I am going to wait a LONG time... So now my plans are to add the schooling fish in 3-5 months down the road IF all goes well and then 3-5 months AFTER that I will try adding 3 more gudgeons... My female isn't aggressive and has only acted in "defence" towards the male... So until I find the fish I am going to assume he is dead from trying to put his body in a hole way too small and then he was able to get in but couldnt get out... I think I have learned not to use dragon rock for small bottom dwellers that like tight spaces...

No luck finding him... I am about to do an ammonia test on the tank... The tank size is a 20 gallon high. In inches it is 24×12×16... Ive had these two fish for apx 2-3 months... Here is a pic I just took this morning:
View attachment 156162
I have alot of dragon stone in my tank, I know what you mean about tiny caves, but I’d say it would not be too difficult to find a missing fish in there.

I have alot of dragon stone in my tank, I know what you mean about tiny caves, but I’d say it would not be too difficult to find a missing fish in there.
What do you suppose I do? There are SUPER tiny crevices in the rock that lead to actual caverns inside of the rock that can be tight...

What do you suppose I do? There are SUPER tiny crevices in the rock that lead to actual caverns inside of the rock that can be tight...
As I said I have dragon stone I know what it is like, but never lost a fish in it. To me you don’t have a lot so I’d be removing it all to check for a fish is my point. I’d wanting that dead fish out that’s for sure

I would also say replace the hardscape as it’s not fit for purpose for your stock If you keep having “missing fish” in it.

As I said I have dragon stone I know what it is like, but never lost a fish in it. To me you don’t have a lot so I’d be removing it all to check for a fish is my point. I’d wanting that dead fish out that’s for sure

I would also say replace the hardscape as it’s not fit for purpose for your stock If you keep having “missing fish” in it.
what about the beneficial bacteria on the rock? Also, how would I remove and add stuff without harming the remaining fish?... It seems like a very big and maybe even expensive job... What other rock besides slate and seiryu stone could I use that would do good at making caves

Most reactions

Back