Male Or Female?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robyngunston

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have two Panda Cory's and two Sterbas Cory's how do you tell the difference between the males and the females?

As with most (not all) corys, fully grown femals are larger than their male counterparts. Both pandas and sterbai have no other (known) differences between the sexes.

Pandas are especially easy to sex, if they are both fully mature (will be about 1.5+ years) the female will be wider by a large margin and probably longer as well.

Sterbai show the size difference but not as much difference, still very noticable. Femals are wider.

Also, they usually do not have to be full grown to tell. If you look at them from above, you can usually tell the difference very easily. I could tell the difference in mine very easily at an early age.

Hi Cory_Cat :)

This is a mature pair of C. Pandas. You can see the difference in size between the larger female and the smaller male.

PandaPair.jpg

The C. sterbai are much harder to tell apart at a young age since they are both chunky looking. It's true though, that if you look at them from above, you can more easily see the size difference. :D

Hi Cory_Cat :)

It's possible that they are both males or both females. When you only have two corys there is a good chance that will happen. If you were to buy say, 6 of them, the chances of getting a mixed group would be much better.

Of course, unless you are hoping to breed them at some time in the future, it doesn't really matter. They will be just as happy and behave exactly the same way, no matter which gender they are. :D

The two panda's I have seem to be exactly the same size so you are probably right in that they are both males or females. :)

Most reactions

Back