Male Guppy's Only

tez2k007

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Will a male only population of about 3 or 4 guppys be ok. Will they get along as I dont really want to mix them with females due to them dropping fry left right and centre.

I have four male guppies together and they get on great. So it will be fine :)

I have 2 tanks of 88 litres each full of guppies (male only) no problem at all.

You need to look at the fin under the tail, in a male it should be quite thin and point and in a female it will be quite triangular. google it for images

Male guppies exclusive.... Lookit the photo below.... I have this theory, that males being seperated from females ( at a young age) makes better breeding stock and you can be selective of which males to put with which females....

Differences in male/ female guppies???.... As it is with us humans, nature also adopts the principal that those mostly decorated and more beautiful are the males.... :lol: (the pointed anal fin, known as the gonopodium.... They are the males).

SDC11313.jpg

Tez, the males and females are easy to tell apart. I use a less colorful fish or people start thinking the color is the difference. These are Heterandria Formosa but the general shape of the anal fins is the same as on a guppy. The pictures are a bit fuzzy because I blew up pictures of a 3/4 inch fish to make them visible.
Male with the straight line anal fin, called a gonopodium, the gonopodium on a guppy is not quite as exaggerated but is the same shape.

MaleCloseup.jpg

Female with a triangular anal fin, on this particular fish it looks almost like a butterfly wing. The guppy won't have that fin color but it will be the same shape.

femaleCloseup.jpg

I hope that helps you be able to tell the difference.

I had an all male guppy tank but it didn't really work out...there were constantly some tails nipped, one of the guppies is now in the qt tank being treated because those little piranhas chewed his tail badly...In my experience guppies (males) are not that friendly at all...
I will see if the things improve now when I added females and removed some males...

But I don't know, perhaps it is just my guppies that think they are piranhas... :)

i have an all male tank for my kids and they are fine - they did have a little bit of a tiff but i discovered there was a juvey female (one of the fry was female) in the tank so thats why they were arguing

they should be fine plenty of plants for cover will be fine

they might have a little squabble occasionally but this is just the males showing dominance

Most reactions

Back