Male Guppy And Female...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lrhodes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Aside from a bunch of fry, I have one male guppy and two females... Well the male guppy pays way more attention to the "prettier" female. I thought only the females were picky about looks? Lol. Or do you think maybe she is more fertile? She stays looking more pregnant than the other female. But that's probably because the male won't leave her alone... What do you think? Lol. Just curious.

Males do tend to go for the pregnant females, the ones which seem more fertile.  I don't think they care about the color of the female from what I've seen.  They may go for the darker females (maybe due to the very dark gravid spot?) more than the lighter.  I have had guppies for years and I'm still learning! :p  These are just my thoughts. :)

Well the one I call prettier just has more yellow in her tail. They are all yellow sunrise with maybe some cobra? And the other females tail is most clear and black with a little yellow.  He doesn't pay much attention to her at all... I feel sorry for the other one? She can't go anywhere in that tank without the male following her.

Maybe you should move the favored female away (if you have another tank) to give her a break.  That might also help your male to breed with the other female, as she'd be the only girl in the tank.  I plan on keeping a males and females tank soon.  That way after a female gives birth you can just put her and the male you want together for a few hours and place them back in their tanks.  And the pregnant females won't get bullied.  I have heard this way is very handy.  :)

I'm not worried about breeding them. I'm not trying to be a guppy breeder. Even though, I guess the second you throw a female guppy in your tank, you are a guppy breeder whether you want to be or not. Haha! I am hoping to get a couple of different colored males though... Because all my fry are going to be yellow unless I throw a different kind in there! I would have been able to remove the preferred female if I didn't just put a Betts in my five gallon.......

Betta*

Most reactions

Back