sam0313e.jpg

sam0315i.jpg

sam0316f.jpg

sam0319a.jpg

sam0321.jpg

sam0323y.jpg

sam0328.jpg

sam0329d.jpg

Dwarf puffers and female bettas, weird combination.

Edit: It could be a male betta, Im not up on bettas.

Im not an expert, but it seems that you have some sort of betta fish and some sort of puffers. Im not good with puffers and bettas but you sould try posting this in the appropiate topics.(Bettas and Odballs)

Dwarf puffers and female bettas, weird combination.

Wow? Absolutely was not expecting that

I really like puffer fish, dwarf puffers in my LSF were really nice, I guess I should start looking up what they need and conditions preferred?

I wonder if It will work with the bettas, the puffers are chasing her.

The puffers I would expect would nip and kill the betta, generally speaking puffers are best kept in a species tank. Couldnt tell you which type of dwarf puffer they are, but most are pretty nippy and have sharp beaks.

If you look at my edit on my original post, and after reading your post above, then its a male betta who has had his fins nipped away.

I might be wrong but they look like Indian Dwarf Puffer or Pea puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus) :unsure:

They are capable of being very aggressive and I believe are known to harrass and kill other species so your Betta is better off being separated from them.

Have a google and you`ll be able to get some info on them.

That looks like a male betta with its fins chewed off. Don't know these two species but my guess is that you are going to rehome one of the species. The thing I noticed is the intake of the filter is sitting on the gravel. You should raise this a couple inches maybe 4-5 off the gravel t extend the life of your filter. You want water to go in not gravel or gravel pits that could harm your filter impeller.

Good luck.

Hi ArnieStinger :)

Please take the betta out of that tank immediately. Then post in the Betta splendens section for information about how to treat his/her injuries. This is not an option if you have any hope of keeping that fish alive. Here's a link to there:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/5-betta-splendens/

that Betta won't last long, that the worst shredded fin i have seen on a betta!

that is certainly a male betta with all his fins chewed off by by the puffers :(
if you have no way of getting that betta his own at least 2 gal tank, you need to divide a section off for him in the current tank so that the puffers cannot continue to nip his fins like that. he is by no means "already dead" or a "goner" as ive seen injured fins that bad heal fine. he NEEDS TO BE SEPARATED IMMEDIATELY from the puffers. then keep the water clean by doing frequent partial waterchanges (would be much easier in a smaller tank). be careful of infection with him as well. those are some pretty raggy "fins" and surely open to infection. no need for meds at this time as clean,warm water and good food will help them regrow over time (will likely take weeks to months tho-thats some baaaad injury to his fins). first and foremost help the betta by keeping the puffers away fron him-either in his own tank (ideal) or by dividing the existing tank for him to have some peace from the nippy puffers.
all the best. any questions about the betta please ask. dont know much about puffers other than they can be quite territorial and agressive.
cheers

Thanks for all the advice, I've just finished reading a bunch about puffers'

I feel really bad for the betta, but I had no choice to accept the fish from a bucket in a van otherwise they were going down the drain as this tank was from a 'friend' who asked him to look after it months ago but never came back so he sold it to me :sad:

I've got almost all of the interpet medicines and treatments so please do let me know if I can treat it with anything, I have a tank that can sit inside the aquarium but the puffers cant touch him, the puffers must have been nipping this guy for a long time.

I need to find out what kind of betta this is, then get him some food, think I read that they like pea's :hey: :drool:

Pretty sure that the puffers are juveniles and definately dwarfs at this point, seems like they might be from the same parents too, they swim together

The betta is a male betta splenden. Dwarf puffers only get to about 1" so they could alreadys be fully grown. How big is the tank? I would separate the betta now and try and rehome him if you cant get a permanent home for him. I think the tank could do with a few more plants and hiding places like wood and caves.

The betta is a male betta splenden. Dwarf puffers only get to about 1" so they could alreadys be fully grown. How big is the tank? I would separate the betta now and try and rehome him if you cant get a permanent home for him. I think the tank could do with a few more plants and hiding places like wood and caves.

The tank is 95 Litres its quite a massive tank for the puffers if they are fully grown, The betta is in a hatching tank suspended on the surface, looks like it's resting for the moment, as soon as the betta was moved in, all 5 of the puffers zoomed in from the other end of the tank and tried to attack the betta from below only to head butt the plastic hatching tank :lol: , looks like they have given up and have gone back to swimming in the flow

The plan was to aquascape with some black volanic 2mm grain gravel, partly java mossed, with caves and some driftwood with holes and dents, then see how it looks from their.

But keeping these guys happy is #1 priority now

omg i feel sorry for that betta! go and do some research quick and also have a look look at some pictures of what a male betta should look like and then look at yours! they need to be seperate

Most reactions

Back