Making Reflectors

Ben M

Formerly pest control
Reaction score
Hi, i would like to make a pair of reflectors for my 4ft rena tank, as it has low t8 lighting. i was wondering what metals are safe to use, and if anybody has a rough design to make them (how to attach them to the light)?

cheers :good:

Hi, i would like to make a pair of reflectors for my 4ft rena tank, as it has low t8 lighting. i was wondering what metals are safe to use, and if anybody has a rough design to make them (how to attach them to the light)?

I have used normal tin foil in the past mate

I just use the shiny side of tin foil
staple it in the hood works a treat

so do you mean cut a piece of foil to the size of the hood and stick it to the underside of the hood?

I have made them out of 3" drainpipe cut to required length & split down the centre (lengthways, circular or table saw required) and lined with mylar. These can then be drilled & screwed to the canopy.
Regards
C

old, CD's, cut in half make excellent reflectors. there is also some "sticky backed plastic" ( lol, for the older reader) from Fablon, at a reasonable price. i think it came from Wilkinson.

i use plastic profile guttering
spray trim tack and aluminum foil
and a micro fiber cloth
i have made them like that in the past
for myself and few other people

thanks guys. i'll ask my dad if he can get some aluminium sheet from work. how would you suggest i make it? i'm guessing it needs to be a bit above the light tube, so how would i fasten it?

thanks guys. i'll ask my dad if he can get some aluminium sheet from work. how would you suggest i make it? i'm guessing it needs to be a bit above the light tube, so how would i fasten it?

I'd use a waterproof epoxy. there is probably not enough room to do anything more than line the hood with it.

hi, i've been thinking of a design. do you think this would work?

above the ballast there is gap of 2mm before the hood, so if i got some 2mm aluminium sheet, and then layed it over the ballast, and have the ends bent downwards over the tubes. like /------\. and then i wouldn't have to stick it on, i could just lay it on top. what do you think?

hi, i've been thinking of a design. do you think this would work?

above the ballast there is gap of 2mm before the hood, so if i got some 2mm aluminium sheet, and then layed it over the ballast, and have the ends bent downwards over the tubes. like /------\. and then i wouldn't have to stick it on, i could just lay it on top. what do you think?

lol, i was trying to think how to put that in words, when i wrote my post. so didnt.

that look good!

Most reactions

Back