Making Reflectors

lol, it took me a while to right it.

i'll ask my dad if he can get the aluminium.

is there any chance of aluminium leaching anything into the water if condensation drips from it?

cheers :good:

lol, it took me a while to right it.

i'll ask my dad if he can get the aluminium.

is there any chance of aluminium leaching anything into the water if condensation drips from it?

there shouldn't be. just don't let it touch anything iron or steel. this causes a chemical reaction, and rots the aluminium. but you could seal it using a transparent spray, just in case.

If you are suggesting that you just lay the aluminium dirctly on top of the flouresent tube then I will advise agains that. Metal & glass expand & contract at diferent rates when heated. This may cause one of the tubes to shatter.

That would be a nightmare to get out of the tank.

hi, the metal would be about 8mm off the tube, is that ok?

I used a sticker mirror, it sticks to the hood and you just have to cut it to fit. You can get it in wilkinsons, when it gets dirty just wipe clean, easy!

hi, the metal would be about 8mm off the tube, is that ok?

it'll get warm, but no contact should happen.

That will be fine & is actualy quite a good idea, let us know how you get on.

I used a sticker mirror, it sticks to the hood and you just have to cut it to fit. You can get it in wilkinsons, when it gets dirty just wipe clean, easy!

Great idea just as long as it is not too close too the light/heat source

old, CD's, cut in half make excellent reflectors. there is also some "sticky backed plastic" ( lol, for the older reader) from Fablon, at a reasonable price. i think it came from Wilkinson.
that intrigued me so much that i just got a cd and lifted the top on my tank, unfortunatly i cant figure out a way of sticking the cd behind the tubes its a twin tube set up on a central strip and i think opening the tank lid is going to interfere with the cd....... bloody gutted now, unless i can figure it out someway

Most reactions

Back