Major Revamp On Discus Tank

hillmar77

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well I did it.... This discus addiction has lead me to a new setup on a impulse. My back still hurts from this big tank swamp, did the whole thing in 5 hours.(including delivery of the old tank to a buyer)
Only thing changed is the new 90 gallon hagen tank, lighting, white silica sand, and new pine stand. ( on the way is a XP3 and another E300 heater)
Before(55 gallon tank):
7bf0cdbd.jpg

and Now:
cc72d2d6.jpg

63394f7d.jpg

09b324d3.jpg

e5baf10c.jpg

I think it looks great. Must be nice to them to have the extra room and the bottom doesn't look as crowded. Wish I had the space for a 90 and I wish the wife wouldn't kill me if I just came home with one.

I think it looks great. Must be nice to them to have the extra room and the bottom doesn't look as crowded. Wish I had the space for a 90 and I wish the wife wouldn't kill me if I just came home with one.
from experience... its alot easier for her to forgive you then to get permission. :lol:

looking good the discus are lovely and very healthy looking

the tank will look ace with some more plants in, how about some bogwood?

Dimensions are 48"(L) X 18"(W) X 24"(H)
I've thought about adding a very big branching Manzanita wood but I'm starting to get worried about the ph level ATM. My old set up used aragonite to buffer my ph to 7.2 steady but now that I am using white silica sand my ph is close to 6.2, with the addition of more wood I'm afraid I'll be dipping the ph below 6 and into the 5's.

[/quote]
from experience... its alot easier for her to forgive you then to get permission. :lol:
[/quote]

haha this is the reason i'm now single, tho i did manage to keep a tank in the spare foom for 5 months before he spotted it. Some people just don't like fish and now i live on my own i have 11 tanks set up and another 9 waiting for racking just need some cheap wood :D

That White sand looks lovely , but won't you have to vac it everyday as it will show every little bit of debris .
Yup if I had more pleco's I'd probly have to. Today was my first water change since the revamp and there wasn't too much debris showing, so if I keep up the 3 water changes a week ritual then the sand should look pretty clean.

nice healthy looking discus :good: they will certainly appreciate the extra space

Dimensions are 48"(L) X 18"(W) X 24"(H)
I've thought about adding a very big branching Manzanita wood but I'm starting to get worried about the ph level ATM. My old set up used aragonite to buffer my ph to 7.2 steady but now that I am using white silica sand my ph is close to 6.2, with the addition of more wood I'm afraid I'll be dipping the ph below 6 and into the 5's.

With water changes you are performing (three a week), I would not worry about bog wood,drift wood, etc altering the water too much. Each water change will keep water at close to whatever the tap water is, assuming you are using tapwater.(effects of wood are slow to happen)
Crushed coral at 1/2 cup per 20 gal of water placed in nylon bag inside filter should also help keep water buffered. Never tried aragonite but would think it would work as well.
I used crushed coral for increasing the hardness and subsequently raising the pH in tanks holding mollies,and Cichlids from Tanganiyka in the past and found that this material must be cleaned under tapwater once a month or so, or it became less effective as it got coated with silt,mulm,dirt,bacteria in the path of water inside filter.
Your fishes may adapt just fine to the new water and no added measures will be needed at all.
Very handsome fishes!

Most reactions

Back