Mac's new Amazonian style Aquarium

I have an "Amazon" tank, but it's a bit of the Amazon river owned by a Sumatran emigree with connections in USA :lol:

You have to have Amazon swordplants if you have an Amazon biotope, plus loads of bogwood. Instead of pampas and grasses I've got giant vallis, plus you should really have black water, so a bit of peat in the filter wouldn't go amiss.

I always have royal blue backgrounds on my tank - it shows off the fish colours beautifully and is also relatively cheap. You can buy fancy "Amazon" backgrounds, either cheaper photographs or the much more expensive tree-root effects.

sweet background,looks great (love the Beastie Boys :wub: )

I think Amazon tanks are supposed to be blackwater though ;)

after further research... i've concluded that my discus are pretty poor quality. very poor discus (aestically speaking) ... i thought the heavy peppering would go away completely as they're just juveniles now. but in reality, in time it may only get a little better and they'll always be runts (with large eyes :blink: and an elongated shape). http://www.simplydiscus.com is a great site for anybody that keeps discus, i'm nuttin but an amatuer, but i recommend it. it's been a big help for me. i'm gonna try to take them back this weekend. this tank is by no means finished yet, just showin all what progress i've made. and unprogress, hehehe. i'm not sure where/how i could tint the color of my water. the substrate isn't amazonian either, although it's naturally collected gravel. so not havin it tinted doesn't bother me. i'm personally a fan of crystal clear water. 8) yeeeeeeeah baby!!! esp. with them discus. gotta have high quality h20. peace.

anybody buy little vials of brine shrimp eggs? what kind of results did you get? i saw em in my lfs today. looks like a PITA, but still kinda cool just cuz you'd have LIVE brine shrimp.

--- m 4 a 2 c 0 ---

oh yeah, and thanks for your kudos! glad you guys are down with my tank so far, esp. my background! :nod:

em to tha aye to tha sea

:fish: I'm diggin' the background! And I wouldn't worry too much about "poor quality" discus...you're not exactly gonna find a shoal of Marlboro Reds swimming about in the Amazon. :drink:

What do you mean poor quality, I actually love them...most high quality discus Ive seen looks unreal, or "fake" or a better word, manicured....i don't know, I just don't like human altered(selective breeding by humans) fish.

I love it. You might want to go with the car theme. You could get one of those sunken car wreck cave things. Keep the pics coming.

got me sum angels. my new babies, got 3 of em for $3.99 each. badass.

Attachments

• DSC00083.JPG
    DSC00083.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 53
and here be them angels...

Attachments

• DSC00081.JPG
    DSC00081.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 55

Most reactions

Back