Lost TWO MORE Khuli's !!!!!

jeffrey

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
what the ****, I lost two khuli loaches during the day.

and there isnt anything wrong with my water, I've done 25% twice in the last week.
The water tests perfectly, even with tests that really shouldnt matter.

I hate this ****.

thats 5 now, in like a week.
they have been fine for a long time.

Please do not use bad language, or attempt to bypass the swear filter.

If it is a relativley new tank and you have been doing water changes twice a week you probably haven't given the tank enough time to cycle.

I would recomend you buy some relativley hardey fish like some tetras. And only change the water once a week. After about a couple weeks you should probably be ok with adding some more delicate fish.

Kuhlies can be very fragile.

Just ask if u have any questions on cycleing your tank.

P.S. If it is not a new tank then I have no idea wats going on. :/

hope that helps

This is starting to confuse me as well.
Ok, water tests are perfect, you are doing regualr water changes and you said that no chemicals are used around the tank in your other post. This leads to either fighting, bullying or a disease of some sort. Well that's my conclusion.
Have you seen anything funny with the khuli's before they died ?

samsung-401 said:
P.S. If it is not a new tank then I have no idea wats going on. :/

hope that helps
Well that depends is 5+ years is newly setup? :p

They apear to be the same, swiming chasing, playing tag. trying to lounge on plant leaves.

This is really concerning me though, I lost another one last night some time.
so now 6 have died in 8 days.

I cant see them fighting if they are, and bullying which I thought would be hard, as I know hatches sure as hell wouldnt do it, and my serpea tetra's wont even eat food once it gets close to the bottom, but even still the khuli is one fast fish. and the hiding spots are too small for a serpea to get into without going sideways.

And disease..... well it can really only be this, and that sucks, cuase I dont know what it is, and the 4 LFS's I went ot with the water didnt know what it could be either.
So how do I treat something I dont know about?
what if its some kind of genetic defect?

canarsie11 said:
Dont add any new fish. Keep an eye on other occupants for next couple of weeks.
I'm not going to add more.

But I sure as hell would like to not take anymore out.
This is jsut killing me, they look so happy, then i turn the light off, then when i turn it on i see a husk of a dead one on the bottom.

jeffrey said:
canarsie11 said:
Dont add any new fish. Keep an eye on other occupants for next couple of weeks.
I'm not going to add more.

But I sure as hell would like to not take anymore out.
This is jsut killing me, they look so happy, then i turn the light off, then when i turn it on i see a husk of a dead one on the bottom.
I also hate that feeling of seig the dead husk.

When I do my daily check of my tanks, always scared I will find one

I'm so sorry Jeffery. I've never kept khulis before so I can't really help you out, and I am completely baffled as to why your poor loaches are dying when you say there is nothing wrong with your tank. But I do want to send you my deepest sympathies and condolences on your losses. That is a horrible thing to have to go through. :-(

:rip: little fishes. :-(

It's time to take drastic action here!
I'm sickof waiting for you to tell us that another one of your fish have died, I'm gonna try and help! You said that your Khuli's lost their colours before they died. Loss of colour...

I searched around the web and found this, it has symptom of colour loss:

SHOCK
SYMPTOM: Loss of colour and appetite. May gasp and fins may be held close.
TREATMENT: Add two tablespoons of salt per gallon of water (3.8 liters) and heat the water to about 32 - 35*C.

Skin Flukes (Gyrodactylus)
S: Fish are infested with small worms causing colors to fade, reddish patches, and the fish to scratch against objects.
A: Skin flukes can be treated with Droncit (Praziquantel) at 2 ppm (2 Mg/L) and formalin baths.

Fish Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium)
S: Fish may lose color and appetite and become hollow-bellied. Fish become lifeless and often crippled–with a bent spine. Fish develop ulcers under the skin and may rupture causing open sores and “pop-eye.”
A: This disease is highly infectious and deleterious. Bacteria can remain living in the gravel to infect other fish when they are weakened. Some success has been achieved by treating infected fish with antibiotics (Oxytetracycline and Kanamycin), although often it is best to kill the fish and put it out of its misery. When removing piscine tuberculosis victims, do so with care, as this disease can be transmitted to humans

That's what I found...dosen't sound too good with any off them.
I would do an imidiate water change right now... then try and solve out what happening.

I hope this helps...ask me if you need anything else!

Guppylover said:
It's time to take drastic action here!
I'm sickof waiting for you to tell us that another one of your fish have died, I'm gonna try and help! You said that your Khuli's lost their colours before they died. Loss of colour...

I searched around the web and found this, it has symptom of colour loss:

SHOCK
SYMPTOM: Loss of colour and appetite. May gasp and fins may be held close.
TREATMENT: Add two tablespoons of salt per gallon of water (3.8 liters) and heat the water to about 32 - 35*C.

Skin Flukes (Gyrodactylus)
S: Fish are infested with small worms causing colors to fade, reddish patches, and the fish to scratch against objects.
A: Skin flukes can be treated with Droncit (Praziquantel) at 2 ppm (2 Mg/L) and formalin baths.

Fish Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium)
S: Fish may lose color and appetite and become hollow-bellied. Fish become lifeless and often crippled–with a bent spine. Fish develop ulcers under the skin and may rupture causing open sores and “pop-eye.”
A: This disease is highly infectious and deleterious. Bacteria can remain living in the gravel to infect other fish when they are weakened. Some success has been achieved by treating infected fish with antibiotics (Oxytetracycline and Kanamycin), although often it is best to kill the fish and put it out of its misery. When removing piscine tuberculosis victims, do so with care, as this disease can be transmitted to humans

That's what I found...dosen't sound too good with any off them.
I would do an imidiate water change right now... then try and solve out what happening.

I hope this helps...ask me if you need anything else!
The first khuli is the only one that lost color.
And adding salt would most deffinatly kill hatchets.

I was told that skin flukes would kill the hatches far befor the khuli's showed any sign of sickness
Same with the mycobacterium.

only the first one lost any color. the rest I couldnt even tell something was wrong, and their husk still had the color, although they had been eaten almost completely aready.

This might be a stupid thing to suggest, but what about night time oxygen levels? You mentioned that they're fine, then you turn off the light and . . .

Is your tank heavily planted? If so, you might need to add an air stone at night. Plants respire and use oxygen just like the fish, all th time, and when the light goes off, and photosynthesis stops, they actually start depleting the tank of oxygen instead of airating th water.

Just pulling at straws at our mystery problem here. :blink:

Found this on the internet for you. Don't think its your fault think theres a problem with the breed: -_-
Sick Kuhli Loaches
Thank you for considering my question. I actually have two which are related.
1) My local pet store used to be able to get healthy Kuhli Loaches all the time. In recent years (no matter the source) they arrive sick and the whole lot of them die. The symptoms are reddish gill area, then swirling, then they die. Any recommendations. We would love to be able to get some "new stock" in our area.
2) This is my main question, the first is background for what knowledge I do have. This morning I discovered one of my Kuhli Loaches is pinkish around the gill area. I have had my Kuhlis for quite a long time and have not introduced any new fish for - 6 weeks. What is my best bet for treatment? I don't want him to follow the same fate as those at our pet store.
<<Hello. Kuhli loaches are a problem lately in most stores. The stock is just not healthy anymore, and they seem particularly prone to bacterial infections and gill flukes. Stores can treat them with antibiotics, and if lucky, some may survive. Strong antibiotics will kill your nitrifying bacteria, though, so be careful! For you, I would recommend Melafix and salt (a teaspoon per gallon). Or you can try to find yourself some Maracyn Two, which is a safer antibiotic to use since it's relatively gentle, and not as much of a threat to your nitrifying bacteria when used as directed.
To prevent further Kuhli problems in your tank, maintain good water quality and do regular gravel cleaning. This will help keep the nasty bacteria levels in your substrate under control, which promote infections, and prevent anoxic areas from developing underneath your decorations and rocks. It's hard to vacuum using a regular siphon, since cutting your Kuhlis in half with the tube is always a possibility, so what I recommend is that move the decorations around, and you "sift" the gravel with your hands regularly to release the debris, and let your filter remove it. Make sure you have good water circulation, so the suspended debris is removed by your filter. If need be, you can add a powerhead to your tank for circulating the dirty water during this cleaning process. Then clean your filter floss and do a water change about an hour later.
Also, if you happen to see the solid black Kuhli loaches for sale, buy them instead. They are (thus far) much hardier, easier to keep, and just as entertaining. -Gwen>>
Hopefully some of yours will survive and be super hardy thats what happened with mine, the two I have left and really fat and hardy!!

Sorry to hear of you bad luck. I can only offer my condolances on this matter, as i have no experiance with khulies.

I hope that things get better for you.

:rip:

hi Jeffrey

Even with a good filter sometimes the circulation of water at the bottom of the tank can be a little sluggish and this will affect the bottom fishes, especially the sensitive ones like the kuhlis

What sort of filtration have you got on the tank? Lost a couple of my loaches from ?? ....water tested out all ok so rethought my tank filtration and water circulation. I've got ugf on my loach tank and have found they are a lot more active and healthier now that I've got powerheads on the ugf............also have 2 aquaclear hob filters so tank is a little overfiltered.

sue

Most reactions

Back