Looking To Introduce A New Tetra Species

AmazonFTW

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Recently I've hit the point where my shoal of silvertip tetras has died back from 25 to around 10, giving me space to introduce some new fish to my aquarium. Okay.. that's not that much free space BUT I'm on work experience and am working in my LFS giving me the ability to get first choice on any new stock which will arrive next week :hyper:. Does anyone have any suggestions for a small shoal of tetras to introduce, preferably not too small for an Elliot Cichlid to have a nice meal, I can of course ask for them to be delivered if they are unavailable at this time.

Thank you in advance,
AmazonFTW

i love my buenos aires tetra, only 1.50 each at my lfs, but they look great. the silver is very 'shimmery', unlike some other 'silver' fish, and the red and black markings stand out nicely. i only have 6, but they stay together well.

here is a bad picture of them :lol:

P1020928.jpg

i love my buenos aires tetra, only 1.50 each at my lfs, but they look great. the silver is very 'shimmery', unlike some other 'silver' fish, and the red and black markings stand out nicely. i only have 6, but they stay together well.

here is a bad picture of them :lol:

P1020928.jpg

Your fish are very nice, especially those plecs, but Buenos Aires aren't my kind of fish, I was looking for something less 'torpedo' shaped (sorry I forgot to mention that). I've been looking at Columbian Redfins, anyone have any info on those regarding group size, fish size, diet etc.?

hi, your tank looks gorgeous by the way. I love rummy nose tetra, got 4 in my smallest tank, also neon and cardinals all mixed together. They are great. You could also try black neon tetra. It'll look great no matter what you add. Good luck. :)

Columbian red fins can reach about 3"/8cm i think. They're very attractive and look brilliant in a shoal. Have you seen George Farmers tank in the tank section? It's also featured in this month PFK magazine.

What about Rosy, X-Ray, Lemon and Red/Black Phantom?

All have pretty much the same body shape but different colourings. The Phantom's I think grow a touch larger and the males in particular have a longer and more 'pointy' dorsal fin. Image of a Rosy (as I think they're my faves of this group) at the link below.

http://www.waysideaquatics.co.uk/images/white-fin-rosy-tetra-97.JPG

The Columbian tetras are so coo they are a pretty good sizel. I had a school but they were with the big fish that I thought would be ok. I was so wrong. I saved 2 and still have them. any cichlid 5+" is a danger to tetras no matter shape or how fast they might be.
Only cichlids I kinds of trust with tetras are my discus.
What happen to half your school?

The Columbian tetras are so coo they are a pretty good sizel. I had a school but they were with the big fish that I thought would be ok. I was so wrong. I saved 2 and still have them. any cichlid 5+" is a danger to tetras no matter shape or how fast they might be.
Only cichlids I kinds of trust with tetras are my discus.
What happen to half your school?

They just died.. no reason really. Just the odd dead fish with no marks or sign of disease/infection. And I ended up buying 11 Columbian Tetras :good:. They've settled in really well.

Most reactions

Back