Looking To Add A New Pair

james_fish

Chuck, Leader Of Ze People.
Reaction score
I want to add a new pair of Cichlids to my South American tank. It is a 55gal, 3'3"(l) by 15 inch(w) by 21 inch(h)

Stocking: Gold Stripe Cory's. Pair of Keyhole's. Pair of Apisto's. Cardinal Tetras. L202.

Here is the journal on the tank

So because size isn't enormous, i'll need something of a small/medium size and something that does not need a 5 foot territory! I was originally thinking Angels? But the hieght may not suit and it could potential be bye bye Cardinals. Thoughts on Angels?

I'm steering away from Ram's.

So yeah, what would you recommend? Take into account I will be adding more Cardinal Tetra's.

James. :good:

How about;

apistogramma baenschi

or

apistogramma hongsloi

or

apistogramma panduro

Or

You could add 4 female gold cacatouides in the tank, instead?

What about a pair of Festivum Cichlids - not sure I would add any more cichlids to a 3ftx15 foot print but the festivums are like angels without the height.

a pair of angels should be fine in that tank as long as they can move and are not obstructed with decor. i wouldnt go more than 2 and would get a pair rather than just 2 angels. these fish get overlooked these days and some are stunning looking fish. large cardinals should be ok with them too :good:

How about;

apistogramma baenschi

or

apistogramma hongsloi

or

apistogramma panduro

Or

You could add 4 female gold cacatouides in the tank, instead?

Wasn't looking to add another pair of Apisto's but definately won't rule them out as I love my current pair :good:

What about a pair of Festivum Cichlids - not sure I would add any more cichlids to a 3ftx15 foot print but the festivums are like angels without the height.

I do like Festivums but wasn't sure wether they would be suitable size wise. It's a shame my tank isn't shorter hieght wise and a little fatter width wise. :good:

a pair of angels should be fine in that tank as long as they can move and are not obstructed with decor. i wouldnt go more than 2 and would get a pair rather than just 2 angels. these fish get overlooked these days and some are stunning looking fish. large cardinals should be ok with them too :good:

Agree Matt, they do get overlooked. I'd love a pair, would just have to find a small pair as the Cardinal's are still quite small. :good:

Does anyone think Firemouths would be suitable? Despite them being CA as opposed to SA.

Thanks for your input, James.

Festivums are great but hard to sex. I had 3 and one got picked on so bad he stop eatting and died. The 2 that were left were not a pair and they would pick on eachother. So brought one back and only have one festivum left with my discus. The festivums are like discus and like to be in groups of 4+. mine is doing fine alone and gets along well with the discus.

I think one angel and one festivum would be good. Because angels are also hard to sex unless mature. If you did get a true pair your tank would be fine I think.

But since paire are hard to get unless you buy a few and let them pair up. I would go with one festivum and one angel. But festivums are get 5-6" it debends on the type there are 3 kinds. All look the same but one has more stripes and more yellow or something like that.

Festivums are great but hard to sex. I had 3 and one got picked on so bad he stop eatting and died. The 2 that were left were not a pair and they would pick on eachother. So brought one back and only have one festivum left with my discus. The festivums are like discus and like to be in groups of 4+. mine is doing fine alone and gets along well with the discus.

I think one angel and one festivum would be good. Because angels are also hard to sex unless mature. If you did get a true pair your tank would be fine I think.

But since paire are hard to get unless you buy a few and let them pair up. I would go with one festivum and one angel. But festivums are get 5-6" it debends on the type there are 3 kinds. All look the same but one has more stripes and more yellow or something like that.

Thanks for the input Snowflake, much appreciated. :good:

It would be a good idea to get one of each.

James.

Bump, still looking for ideas :)

Jame.s

Pair of Firemouths, fantastic looking fish.
(Although not SA)

Yeah considered the Firemouths. I think I might go for another Apistogramma pair, maybe Atahualpa?

Cheers for the input. James :good:

Most reactions

Back