Looking Into Pirahnas (Now), Need Some Help

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mikemensch2007

Reaction score
I work at the lfs and i see they have "pacus", i guess they are suppose to be something like a pirahna, i am interested in getting a few but i need some information on how big they get and their water conditions and stuff like that (what they eat also), what would be a good sized tank.... If anyone could help that would be great...

Thanks
Mike

All of the information really depends of what type of Pacu they have for sale. I can tell you that are Characins and should go into the Cyprinids/Characin/Atherinid Forums. They are related to the piranha, but they don't eat meat. In the wild they eat fruits and nuts fallen from trees.

May i add that, the most common Pacu, the red-bellied pacu, gets to about 3', and they like to live in schools. You basically need a couple-hundred (if not more) gallon tank to keep them. IF you can afford this, lucky bum :p I love pacus.

Not so sure on that. I seem to recall that the true red bellied pacu only grows to around 10", but there are others that look similar that are real tankbusters. Just like the blakc pacu which can get well past 2 feet.

Well, as i said, i suppose it really matters exactly what type of Pacu he's looking into. As you can see, they come in a variety of adult sizes.

Edit: As for the True Red Bellied Pacu, well if the LFS lied, it wouldn't be the first time they did. Then again you said there are others that look alike. Maybe they just mislabeled them.

I also found this picture on the web

piaractus_brachypomus.jpg

(I'd credit the site, but it's in Japanese)

Under Piaractus brachypomus. The red-bellied pacu, no?

Sorry, i'm not trying to disapprove, just that i'm a little confused myself.

wow, i didnt know they got that big.... the ones in the store or only the size of a baseball, that is big though.... I beleive they are red bellied pacus (they are partially red), but it doesnt say what type they are just that they are pacus, i will have to ask.... so i guess that phases out getting pacus, i already got 129 gallons plus 30 plus 20 plus another 29 on my first floor, dont need anymore soon the floor will fall in :crazy: ....... do pirahnas get that big too, if not how big do they get and how big of a size(minimum) tank do you suggest???

Thanks
Mike

I'm pretty sure that the true red bellied pacu do get to 10" max. I only remember becuse I was shocked to learn of it from CFC who I'm yet to see wrong when giving info on a particular fish.

However, making sure you get them is another matter entirely...Generally best left untouched unless you can be sure what species.

Edit-----

This isthe thread: Pacu question

And for those afraid of hyperlinks; the latin name is Metynnis maculatus

lol, again with Piranhas, the most common is the red-bellied, which gets to one foot. They should live in schools. Because of your 129gallon, you could keep a school of 4 or 6 in there.

There are also some other piranhas which will kill anything you put in with them, like the black diamond, so make sure they're red-bellied :p

the only pirahnas we get in the store are red bellied... im not putting no pirahna in my 129gallon... its nice as it is, lol... i gotta get a new tank, say if i would get a 90 gallon how many pirahnas can i fit in there??? so they can still move around...

Thanks
Mike

i've always heard that its 125 gallons/school of 6 minimum for red-belly pirahanas.

(those pacus in the picture were black pacus, i believe, which are the largest species. that's my foot in the picture and i've got pretty big feet :hey:) (for a girl ;) :lol:)

so what your saying is that the best way to keep a red bellied pirahna is in a school of 6 at least??? i cant keep a school of 4 or smaller in a 90 gallon? right now i dont have enough room in my house for another 130 gallon tank... :dunno:

Thanks
Mike

that's what i've always heard. you "can" keep smaller sized schools, but the potential for aggression/cannibalism is much greater. but i don't actually keep pirhanas myself; for better advice you should probably re-title this thread to ask about pirhanas or PM one of the pirhana keepers from this thread.

Most reactions

Back