Look What I Got

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/clo...em&fw1147273239
Vespicula depressifrons :wub:
It's going to have a tank all to itself. I've never had brackish before, but I have had FO saltwater and I've been reading up on these guys for a while, so I think I'm ready to try it. I was going to set up a nano reef, but I've been broke recently so I figured this would be a good way to fill up the tank instead... it has been an eyesore sitting on my desk all empty-like :/. Besides, gotta love tiny critters that can cause you a world of pain!
One bit of info I can't seem to find about them though, what sort of pH do they prefer, any of you guys know?

They're pretty new to the hobby. Often sold as "butterfly gobies" (though they definitely are not gobies). I've pulled together what I have learned in the FAQ:

http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/aquaria/bra...4.html#waspfish

Otherwise pretty standard for this type of stealth predator. They are active though, and great fun to watch. I think they are a lot like miniature groupers.

Cheers,

Neale

Hmmm, interesting! I hear so many different things about them. That they're active at night, that they're active in the day, that they grow to 6", that they grow to 4" or even closer to 2.5" max in captivity, that they are picky eaters, that they eat anything... I guess we'll just have to wait and see :). Your description makes me worry that I'll want more, nmonks :lol:. Another tank might be in store in the future, haha.

Hmmm, interesting! I hear so many different things about them. That they're active at night, that they're active in the day, that they grow to 6", that they grow to 4" or even closer to 2.5" max in captivity, that they are picky eaters, that they eat anything... I guess we'll just have to wait and see :). Your description makes me worry that I'll want more, nmonks :lol:. Another tank might be in store in the future, haha.

Interesting fish would love one !!!!!

One Question ! What fish can you keep him with ? I am thinking about my GSP and it's probably a big no no ??? ( Am I gonna end up with two brackish tanks ? LOL)

Sabby

One of my petstores here had around 5 in a tank. Really small. Aren't they venemous? :crazy:

Is there really your first go around with brackish fish Synirr?

Yes, the brackish section has stolen another freshwater-er :shifty:

One Question ! What fish can you keep him with ? I am thinking about my GSP and it's probably a big no no ??? ( Am I gonna end up with two brackish tanks ? LOL)

Sabby
A site I read said not to keep them with puffers (fig 8s in this case) since the puffers are more aggressive eaters and the waspfish tend to lose out, but no problems aside from that, so I guess as long as you made sure it was eating it would be ok. The puffer can't very well be overly aggressive with it or he'd get a nasty sting! The seller I'm getting mine from has more, contact him through the auction link if you really want one ;)

One of my petstores here had around 5 in a tank. Really small. Aren't they venemous? :crazy:
Yeppers, cute and dangerous, I like! :D

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!I love predators that are small.Could I keep one in a 10 gallon?Are they hard to keep?
I dunno, I hear they're picky eaters and probably somewhat picky about water quality too but I'm not sure. I think 10 gal is the minimum for one. I'm starting mine in an empty 5 gal I have lying around until a 10 gal I had set up as a temp tank for a juvi flowerhorn is vacated in a few weeks to a month, the seller tells me it is still small so it should be fine and the 5 gal is already cycled :)

Is there really your first go around with brackish fish Synirr?

Yes, the brackish section has stolen another freshwater-er :shifty:
Hehe, yeah. I had a violet goby long ago as a newb but kept it in freshwater, shame on me. Still, it lived many months until it swallowed a snail whole and died of constipation :blink:. I'm normally too lazy for anything that requires pre-mixing water for a waterchange, but this guy was too good to pass up!

These are lovely looking fish. I'd love to find some on this side of the pond!

Sabby

Well not exactly....actually your GSP will one day be marine not brackish hehe

Hi Phlawed

My GSP is gonna go in my new tank with my Columbian Cat Sharks. ( Same Salinity)
I will keep my old tank as I can't stand parting with my chromides and Gobys. Do you think a Wasp Fish would be ok with gobys & chromides ?

Sabby :)

I dunno much about chromides... as long as they can handle a higher SG, like around 1.010-1.016, and are pretty peaceful I bet it would be fine. As I understand it, these waspfish are basically peaceful and do best with likewise peaceful tankmakes that won't fit in their mouths or steal all their food :lol:

I dunno much about chromides... as long as they can handle a higher SG, like around 1.010-1.016, and are pretty peaceful I bet it would be fine. As I understand it, these waspfish are basically peaceful and do best with likewise peaceful tankmakes that won't fit in their mouths or steal all their food :lol:

Hi Synirr

Maybe I am out of luck as the Chromides should be kept around 1.002-1010. But I just read on N.Monks FAQ that the waspfish does well from 1.010 upwards and in the wild it lives in fresh water to fully marine condition. That means I could keep it in my bigger tank just worried when the GSP gets older that he gets a bit to aggressive. At the moment he don't bother any other fish.
When are you getting the Waspfish ? It would be nice if you keep us updated on how you doing with this fish. If you don't mind I might PM you to see how you getting on.

Sabby

:)

Most reactions

Back