Long Vs High

guidedbyechoes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
If I have a tank that is 25 gallon high what does that translate into in the saltwater world? 24 inches long. :(

In general it's better to have longer tanks than high tanks. That's because there's more surface area, light penetrates easier, and most fish don't really swim vertically. Many people have high saltwater tanks, you just have to put a little more consideration into lighting and stocking. :)

In general it's better to have longer tanks than high tanks. That's because there's more surface area, light penetrates easier, and most fish don't really swim vertically. Many people have high saltwater tanks, you just have to put a little more consideration into lighting and stocking. :)

Yeah I know who desgned highs anyway? I guess they were ment for freshwater community tanks.

4 watts per gallon enough? I don't want anything too light demanding.

The watts per gallon rule is misleading...
for all I know, you could be talking about 4wpg in MOONLIGHTS, lol
so you at least need to say what kind of light.
eg. power compacts, T5's, T5HO's, metal halides, etc.

Also... I'm considering getting a 'high' tank for a jawfish nano. It's useful for tanks that need deep sand beds (eg jawfish tanks). :)

The watts per gallon rule is misleading...
for all I know, you could be talking about 4wpg in MOONLIGHTS, lol
so you at least need to say what kind of light.
eg. power compacts, T5's, T5HO's, metal halides, etc.

Also... I'm considering getting a 'high' tank for a jawfish nano. It's useful for tanks that need deep sand beds (eg jawfish tanks). :)

compacts more specifically a 2x65 with the leds for sim moonlight. Jawfish are quite attractive fish but don't they just borrow into holes most of the time?

Is this UK or US gallons? The 25UKG tank is a standard 29USG tank, both are 30x12x18" if memory serves. A bit of a bear to aquascape... 2x65watt PCs would let you keep softies and easier LPS in that tank

Is this UK or US gallons? The 25UKG tank is a standard 29USG tank, both are 30x12x18" if memory serves. A bit of a bear to aquascape... 2x65watt PCs would let you keep softies and easier LPS in that tank

25 us gallons.

:blush:

I really just want a clownfish a couple shrimp and some softy corals.

Yeah I know who desgned highs anyway? I guess they were ment for freshwater community tanks.

4 watts per gallon enough? I don't want anything too light demanding.

now why would you say that? What makes you think vertical tanks are ok for freshwater fish but bad for saltwater. Im not accusing you and i know it sounds like im, well, questioning you, but i just dont want you to get the wrong idea....

Vertical tanks are good for some seahorses and if its a cylinder some jellyfish. (btw both are saltwater)

25 USG huh? Odd gallonage. What're the dimensions? Either way, you can keep clowns and softies with a 2x66watt light. Just make sure you have around 500gph worth of flow in there, enough LR and you should be set :)

25 usg? I think those are those weird 40"x12"12... Maybe. :unsure:

Awww....high tanks can be very cool saltwater tanks! I agree that they would be more restricting in the smaller sizes (e.g. 25 gallons), but in larger sizes (e.g. 90 gallons+), they can be stunning IMHO!

Additionally, there are benifits to high tanks in SW that we might not be considering...for example, if your light system is not sufficient for reaching the bottom of the tank, we can simply stack live rock higher and place the corals there. In fact, I have found taller tanks to be somewhat more interesting becuase, much like one might do in a planted tank with foreground, midground, and background plants, we can place the more light 'needy' corals near the top of the tank, medium light 'needy' corals in the middle of the tank, and low light corals on the bottom (might present some good opportunties for keeping some of the gorgonians or even sponges - although that might take some additional 'expertise'). Of course, there are at least a few interesting fish that can be kept in taller tanks - usually those which are somewhat 'stationary' like clownfish (which offers a good chance to keep an anemone - again, once we are confident we can care for them successfully).

Point being....wide tanks may provide some more options as far as fish and possibly for keeping a wider array of corals with a bit less light (e.g. PC/T5 versus Mh), however, there are still a ton of possiblilities for the less-wide, tall tanks and IMHO, enough so that we shouldn't immediately count them out as an option.

High tanks can also be a hassle to deal with, especially if you need to access the bottom of the tank. You'll have your entire torso in the water before you get there! :lol: Seems long tanks are more practical. But of course each have their own pros and cons.

i hate high tanks. my 55 is a high, and i cant stand it.
any tank that involves u finding a stool to clean sand is not meant to be.

go long, i wish i could have but i had no room for a longer tank. bad enough i had to sell my bed for a futon just to make room :)

amazing what tank lovers will do

square is best if you can access it :) seriously aquascaping for FO is ok thin and high but for corals low and wide is best, long great as well.

Most reactions

Back