Tank dimensions opinions

I just so happens I've kept them 3 times, two different colour forms of thomasi. On the egg test, they wouldn't even develop at 140 ppm, and I had to bring it down around 100 to get fry.
Generally, if the eggs won't develop in a type of water, then the fish is out of its water.

I have one grumpy leftover female thomasi here, if anyone wants to drive up to eastern Canada...

I bred them 10 years ago, then ordered them again 2 years ago, only to have a shipping mishap. 30 years ago I had a group in 140ppm water. They couldn't breed.

@gwand - if I can make a suggestion...mbuna are pretty. But a dive into Tanganyikans may catch your eye. They are no longer as popular as they were, but they are fantastic harder water Cichlids. There are some small species that are beautiful, and not hard to keep. There are pretty Victorians too, but I was unable to keep them as they aren't aggressive - they are downright violent. Tanganyikans, on the other hand, display some fascinating behaviour, and can be in tanks like you are considering. Neoplamprologus marunguensis... very cool.
Thanks. Do you recommend single species tank for the Tanganikans? I will begin my investigation, double check on Seriously Fish and circle back to you for your blessings.

What dimensions would you recommend if I went with Labidochromis caeruleus and Iodotropheus sprengerae? Or is it best to go with a single specie tank?
the 4 foot tank probably has more room for those 2 species and they should be ok together because they are both pretty peaceful for cichlids.

Lake Malawi (where these 2 cichlids come from) has a GH around 300-350ppm and a pH around 7.6-8.0. If your GH is 200ppm, you might want to add some Rift Lake water conditioner (mineral salts) to raise the GH a little bit.

the 4 foot tank probably has more room for those 2 species and they should be ok together because they are both pretty peaceful for cichlids.

Lake Malawi (where these 2 cichlids come from) has a GH around 300-350ppm and a pH around 7.6-8.0. If your GH is 200ppm, you might want to add some Rift Lake water conditioner (mineral salts) to raise the GH a little bit.
Thanks. How many of each species do you recommend in the 4 foot tank?

I just so happens I've kept them 3 times, two different colour forms of thomasi. On the egg test, they wouldn't even develop at 140 ppm, and I had to bring it down around 100 to get fry.
Generally, if the eggs won't develop in a type of water, then the fish is out of its water.

I have one grumpy leftover female thomasi here, if anyone wants to drive up to eastern Canada...

I bred them 10 years ago, then ordered them again 2 years ago, only to have a shipping mishap. 30 years ago I had a group in 140ppm water. They couldn't breed.

@gwand - if I can make a suggestion...mbuna are pretty. But a dive into Tanganyikans may catch your eye. They are no longer as popular as they were, but they are fantastic harder water Cichlids. There are some small species that are beautiful, and not hard to keep. There are pretty Victorians too, but I was unable to keep them as they aren't aggressive - they are downright violent. Tanganyikans, on the other hand, display some fascinating behaviour, and can be in tanks like you are considering. Neoplamprologus marunguensis... very cool.
G, For 55 g tank, 1. How many Neoplamprologus should i get? 2. Do single males need a harem? 3. Specie specific tank? 4. Tank size 48 inches long x 20 inches high x 13 inches wide OR 36 inch long x13 widex13 high. Thanks

Maybe 4 or 5 of each species. Get them all the same size and add them at the same time. Have lots of hiding places in there before you add the fish.

G, For 55 g tank, 1. How many Neoplamprologus should i get? 2. Do single males need a harem? 3. Specie specific tank? 4. Tank size 48 inches long x 20 inches high x 13 inches wide OR 36 inch long x13 widex13 high. Thanks
Neoplamprologus marunguensis are highly territorial and a pr will take over the entire tank. They don't sell either so unless you want a tank full of them and nothing else, look for something else. Most Neolamprologus are the same, angry little fish.

If you want a breeding pr of these fish, or any cichlid, buy 8-10 young and grow them up together. Let them pick their partners and either move the pr into their own tank or leave the pr and move the others out.

N marunguensis colony bred here. Each successive brood took on a different, changing role. As they aged, some became perimeter defenders, excavators, carers for their siblings, etc. It was a fantastic sight that did give me a lot of fish - true.
All these young, all different sizes, all industriously trying to take over the world.
In my market, they were dead easy to sell, and I got very good prices. I could let them sex out with the parents, which made sales of pairs easy. The tribal breeding fascinated me.
There are lots of other options. That's just one that appealed to my idea of a beautiful fish no one keeps, but should.

Ok. Now I have a headache! I really like the looks of Neoplamprologus marunguensis and some of the behaviors that Gary described. However, I do not want overly aggressive fish. I do like Anomalochromis thomasi. But let me start over. I want a 55 gallon tank. The GH of my water is 200 ppm. PH 7.5. I am not looking to alter my well water in anyway. I also do not want to cultivate live food. I want cichlids that are generally peaceful and attractive looking. The tank could be species specific or contain two species of fish. Will the “three amigos” give me their recommendations. Thank you.

Last edited:
I think the GH is too high for the thomasi and a bit low for Rift Lake cichlids. However, Lake Victoria cichlids would be fine and Lake Malawi cichlids that have been captive breed should be ok in water with a GH of 200ppm.

I think the GH is too high for the thomasi and a bit low for Rift Lake cichlids. However, Lake Victoria cichlids would be fine and Lake Malawi cichlids that have been captive breed should be ok in water with a GH of 200ppm.
Would you please provide me names of small, peaceful cichlids from lake Victoria.

Sorry I can't help with Lake Victorian fishes. There are plenty of small cichlids from there but I was into Lake Tanganyika then Malawi fishes and never got into Lake Victoria. Gary will probably have a better idea than me.

I would always say go with a longer/wider tank rather than taller. Fish swim generally swim back and forth, not up and down. A lot of fish stay at one level of the tank, so the extra height doesn't do much for them. And if you have live plants, the light can get diffused in taller tanks.
The only exception I would make is if you're stocking taller fish like angelfish or discus.

Most reactions

Back