Lonely Platy?

doraemon213

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am going to upgrade from 10 gallon to 20 gallon but not any time soon, because I am new and only recently got hold of some biological filter media. I still need to cycle the new tank and all that, so I won't be putting fish in the new one until at least a few weeks later.

So, I only have one platy in my old tank right now, and I don't intend to add any more fish until I have completely cycled the new tank. She occasionally swims very fast in a zig-zag path and seems to be easily scared when I approach the tank (except when it is feeding time). Is she very stressed? How can I tell?

Anyone? Is it abnormal to have a fish swimming crazily up and down at the side of the tank?

If she's the only fish in the tank then she will feel insecure & stressed.
I'd add another female to keep her company until you can get the bigger tank

do you know if its a male or a female. from my expireince livebearers are social fish they prefers to be in groups or schools of sorts, so its possible its lonely but it can wait.

My molly does this and its new to my tank making me think it can be due to stress. How long has it been alone in your tank? My molly swims in only one place atm up and down one of the side glasses its odd to watch as she never goes anywhere else :/

Most reactions

Back