Llj's 20g Journal

I've had some losses, but no where near the level of the losses from Arizona Aquatics. It will probably be a struggle to get ember tetras to do well in my tanks, and those are the fish I've lost the most of. I don't think I've lost any of the boraras uropthalmoides, and though reclusive, they are becomming quite hardy. I don't think all the species are the right species, however. I don't fault the vendor, though, as some of the small boraras are really difficult to positively id, and I think there is a mix. It will be difficult determining whether or not I have viable pairs. I know I have a good mix of the ember tetras, and perhaps when the other uropthalmoides arrive, a good sex ratio of them, but I suspect the brigittae may not all be brigittae. When they're settled, I'll confirm this over at the Cyprinids section. I may have to supplement the numbers and add to the roster of species.

Today, I will do another small water change, and continue feeding, and I will stop dosing the meds, as I think that good tank maintenance will be more beneficial than medication.

I am considering injecting CO2 in this tank, just to lower the pH a tad. This might help all fish involved, and boost plant growth. If I do, it'll be a weak mix, as my crypts do not much like CO2 in large doses.

Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll get the replacement fish for the initial DOAs and the extra uopthalmoides that were in the original order.

I'll keep updating, and I promise I'll post pictures once the fish are settled. No point stressing the fish out with a photo shoot, when they might not even like Miami water all that much.

llj

Time for an update.

The fish are doing very well now and getting quite fat on BBS. Since I only received 1 Boraras urophthalmoides, I'm ordering 12 more, so hopefully, I'll get the right species. They should come next week.

I moved the large aponogeton from the center to the left corner. A good move and my crypts are thanking me for it. Aponogetons have very large root structures and that one was beating out the crypts for substrate space.

Eventually, I'd like to swap out the old substrate for a dark sand, but that won't happen for a long while, and I'd like to have my fish populaton stable and thriving before I do a huge change like that.

Boraras merah
IMG_1207-1.jpg

Full tank shot
IMG_1359.jpg

I'll try and get more shots of the fish, but I was literally taking hundreds of pictures before I got the one shot of that B. merah. These fish move very fast! :hyper: And my tank lighting isn't great for photos.

Thanks for looking :good:

llj

Looking good, the centre foreground lets it down IMO

I agree. I have to tighten up the crypts and the marsilea. Or, just keep it bare, which is another option that works well for this tank. Or, a combination of both ideas. The planting was haphazard in the front, as I really just wanted the crypts to establish themselves first. Then, with livestock additions, scaping took a backseat to acclimation.

llj

Looking good, the centre foreground lets it down IMO

I agree. I have to tighten up the crypts and the marsilea. Or, just keep it bare, which is another option that works well for this tank. Or, a combination of both ideas. The planting was haphazard in the front, as I really just wanted the crypts to establish themselves first. Then, with livestock additions, scaping took a backseat to acclimation.

llj

I think it'd look good bare, or even with a moss carpet. :good:

I love the crypts! I would line the wood with some small plants and leave the rest bare.

Thank you, it is bare for now. I'm getting some hardy grass-like plants, so I'll see which ones would possibly do well with this tanks specs next week.

I received 12 lovely Boraras urophthalmoides from Frank over at Frank's aquariums yesterday. Teenie tiny, like a 1/2 inch maximum! But fat and sassy. They are already coloring up and eating BBS, frozen daphnia, and micro pellets. Hopefully, they will acclimate without a problem. If they are doing well by the end of the week, I'll order some more B. merah from Frank. They were shipped differently this time, less fish per bag, so they made the trip very well. I think that's the key, smaller orders. More expensive initially, but cheaper in the long run and no DOAs due to shipping stress.

Will post pictures when they are colored up.

llj :D

The coloring up took less time than I thought. Boraras urophthalmoides are a lovely fish and so tiny. Perfect for a nano aquarium.

Hard to get a close-up as they are very fast. Forgive the debree, but I was feeding frozen BBS and the stuff was all over. There is also algae on the anubia. :blush:

IMG_1701-1.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

Oh, and a picture of an oto. Couldn't resist. :)

IMG_1715.jpg

Very nice fish! I have never seen one in real life though. People here like large, colourful and hardy fish. No chance getting any myself, I'm afraid..... I have to find a way to start importing..... Maybe a quick visit over the border will do to our cousins as people say here.....

Very nice fish! I have never seen one in real life though. People here like large, colourful and hardy fish. No chance getting any myself, I'm afraid..... I have to find a way to start importing..... Maybe a quick visit over the border will do to our cousins as people say here.....

I know what you mean. In Miami, it is all about predatory fish or saltwater. I had to special order my smaller fish. They are colorful, in a more natural sort of way, not died, genetically enhanced, or cultivated. How's the shipping where you live? Can you receive things from the US or is quaranteen very strict?

llj

i know how that is too. importing is a little easier but with our naturally hard water here in ontario the big thing is african rift lake cichlids. although we have the big als chain up here so its not impossible to get odd ball stuff.

those littel fish look great. should really pop against the green plants.

I know what you mean. In Miami, it is all about predatory fish or saltwater. I had to special order my smaller fish. They are colorful, in a more natural sort of way, not died, genetically enhanced, or cultivated. How's the shipping where you live? Can you receive things from the US or is quaranteen very strict?

llj

The problem is that as an individual you cannot import anything. You need to have a kind of importer's licence, and I have not found anybody yet that can provide me with it. I smuggled in killi eggs in February from Europe, but with live fish it is a bit harder.....

The problem is that as an individual you cannot import anything. You need to have a kind of importer's licence, and I have not found anybody yet that can provide me with it. I smuggled in killi eggs in February from Europe, but with live fish it is a bit harder.....

Can you bid on something at a site like aquabid? How does that work on your side of the border?

Most reactions

Back