Live Rock

Not sure what you mean by seeded into live rock but generally any rock that is underwater for more than 6 months will be considered live rock. You can put dry limestone and sandstone rock from the beach into a fish tank and it will become live rock. Many people do this to build up the base of a reef and then put some nice pieces of tropical reef live rock on top. The limestone is much cheaper than the live rock from a coral reef and this can save a heap when setting up a big tank.

Not sure what you mean by seeded into live rock but generally any rock that is underwater for more than 6 months will be considered live rock. You can put dry limestone and sandstone rock from the beach into a fish tank and it will become live rock. Many people do this to build up the base of a reef and then put some nice pieces of tropical reef live rock on top. The limestone is much cheaper than the live rock from a coral reef and this can save a heap when setting up a big tank.

What about smoother stones such as landscaping/river rocks? I mean it would look weird, but would it be functional?

as long as the rock is safe, (free of chemicals, heavy metals like copper, and won't drop the PH) they are fine to use. River rocks are normally fine. There is a thread on here somewhere that tells you all about different rocks and what they do to the water. I don't know where it is but it should be here somewhere. It might be worth a look if you can find it :)

as long as the rock is safe, (free of chemicals, heavy metals like copper, and won't drop the PH) they are fine to use. River rocks are normally fine. There is a thread on here somewhere that tells you all about different rocks and what they do to the water. I don't know where it is but it should be here somewhere. It might be worth a look if you can find it :)

Awesome! I have been thinking about going to a fowlr for a while but decided against it because it would be about $400 for the live rock alone in my 55. There are rocks in it already with shrimp so I highly doubt they contain copper and they don't fizz so they should be inert. My water is already hard so no problems there. I'll try to hunt that thread down.

Most reactions

Back