Live Rock

cedyced

Reaction score
What is the rule of thumb for live rock? I mean I know that LR is suppose to be the key for salt tanks. I know that you should have about 1-1/5 Pounds per gal or LR. But what about lighting? If I am doing a Fish Only tank, so I need the 100+ watt lights to substain the LR? I have a 45 watt bulb on my 80 gal. Is that enough for FOWLR?

Live rock really needs no light to sustain its live status. If high intensity light isn't present and there are coral remnants you may have a little higher die off in the beginning, but it isn't a problem. Also without the high intensity lighting you may experience less nuiscence algeas.

Live rock really needs no light to sustain its live status. If high intensity light isn't present and there are coral remnants you may have a little higher die off in the beginning, but it isn't a problem. Also without the high intensity lighting you may experience less nuiscence algeas.

Yeah live rock lives on its own...Cept if you wanna get corals like crazyelece mentioned which will need more lighting.

Thanks a lot. I just wanted to make sure before I bought a whole bunch of it. Any info on where to get the best deal online for LR?

Well the prices all seem the same, But you should buy it from the LFS if your going to buy bunches because the shipping prices will cost a lot.

you know as big as Phoenix is, there are only a few good saltwater stores. All the LR out here is $7.99+
I've seen a lot of places online claim to have free shipping. I'll have to weigh it out and see.
Again thanks

premiumaquatics has great prices on LR. If I may also suggest... Look for a local reef club like this group as you might be able to buy some off of somebody breaking down a larger tank. Around here, LR usually goes for ~$3/lb in my club. Much cheaper :good:

Most reactions

Back