Lionhead/blockhead/buffalo head cichlid

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just wondered what these fish are like? Best to get in pairs/threes? Do they hide all of the time? I know they hang around the lower levels ......I get the impression from looking on the web that they are not very aggressive (for cichlids) .....anyone agree/disagree?

Cheers
Andy

Blockheads are west african cichlids that live in the rapids of large rivers, they are designed for life in strong currents and have no swim bladder. thats all i know im afraid, moved to the african cichlids forum.

Blockheads are a very cool cichlid. I have kept them in the past. I always tried to keep at least 3 together. They are not high maintnance either. They are just not very common so information on them is sparce.

Hi..They can get up to 6 inches and the hump on their head also grows bigger as they do,it is called a frontal gibbosity,I believe.They are cave spawners and the eggs need total darkness,they are very easy to breed.I treat mine as The rest of my cichlids,as i house mine with mbuna,they breed in this setup freely.It is 1 of my fav fish,they have a great personality.

Most reactions

Back