Light Reflectors

J4G3D

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Wondered if there is a d.i.y guide to making light reflectors?

Or if not where to buy 42 to 48 inch ones CHEAP?

sheet of white card, with a slight bend in it should do the trick, or some foil curved, but a white surface is better.

You can get reflectors for £6-10 each, from any LFS/online retailer.

sheet of white card, with a slight bend in it should do the trick, or some foil curved, but a white surface is better.

You can get reflectors for £6-10 each, from any LFS/online retailer.
Went to my local retailer and they had small ones for £10 no big ones. Wouldnt want to spend silly money on a couple as its not majorly important. White card you say is recommended? would that give a noticable different? what about a white card with a shiney foil on 1 side? like chinese takeaway lids.

Plain white reflects better than a mirrored surface, white surface reflect all wave lengths of light.

Ok cheers, cheap d.i.y then thats what i like!

Would a glossy white be better than a dull white like printer paper (but obviously no that thin)

I think the slickest DIY I have seen for a reflector was a piece of white rain gutter just mounted behind the bulb.

I think the slickest DIY I have seen for a reflector was a piece of white rain gutter just mounted behind the bulb.
Well done that should be easier for me to get over a long 42" peice of card. Will definatly do that. Maybe i can find some on the roadside or in a skip so its a complete free d.i.y jobby lol.

I disagree that a mirrored/aluminum reflector is better than a white reflector. A white reflector reflects diffused light, while a shiney reflector will not diffuse the light. If you want to make the most of your light so it evenly covers the front and back of the tank its best to go with a polished reflector and bend it properly so very little light is reflected out of the tank. A poorly polished peice of aluminum can preform worse than a white reflector though. As far as I know the best reflectors on the market are Miro reflectors I have some of these and man they are really shiny :drool: ! Like looking into a mirror. They are expensive though. I would rather DIY my reflectors. However I copy the bends in my miro reflectors since they are designed to reduce restrike.

I bought a white pipe 2m from b&q for like £1 something. Cut it straight through the middle and put each half onto of my tube (i have 2) its made a very very slight difference. But im looking for abit more. The problem ive got is my tank is a seabray dolphin and it comes with a solid fit glass roof that the tubes sit on, this is causing me to lose so much light!.

The glass shouldn't cause much light loss. You can buy some roll aluminum sheet from and home improvement store. It cuts easy with large scissors. Just be careful I was fighting with one of my reflectors today that I made out of aluminum sheet and managed to slice my finger open :rolleyes: .

sorry to hijack the thread but could i just ask a question about reflectors i was about to buy some for my tank and they are like a chromed mirror finish so from what i've been reading white is better, the lid of my tank is white so is there any point in adding any at all :)

I recently experimented when I fitted blue cathode "moonlight" and lost a lot upward and out. A kitchen roll tube cut in half with some tin foil one shiny side down other shiny side up, white card and photo paper.

I found for the blue light, tin foil shiny side reflecting worked best.

I then expanded to test for a larger reflector for the normal tube and found white glossy paper gave no benefit over card but the white was better. I would like to try aluminium roll though

Aluminum roll is just like tinfoil but thicker. It cuts easy with scissors and is fairly easy to bend. I compared it to tinfoil and the shinyness is about the same. To make holes in it for mounting just use a hammer and a sharp nail. You can get it at most home improvement stores. Mine is from Menards, a 6" by 10ft roll for $5.

Below is some aluminum roll/sheet compared to one of my Miro reflectors. Miro cuz they are mirrors :lol: . As you can see I silicon/hotglue my cold cathodes onto the reflector. I bend the aluminum to copy the shape, because its suppose to reduce restrike or something. Obviously the aluminum roll won't reflect as well, but its cheap and will do just fine.

P1110113.jpg

Most reactions

Back