Levels

caz_m

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what (roughly) the levels of chemicals should be in the water

PH
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ammonia

So I can check them against my daily readings.

PH depends on what fish you keep but safe levels are generally between 6-8
Nitrite should always be 0
Ammonia should always be 0
Nitrate again depends on your fish but under 100 (I think) is considered safe.. 40 being a good figure and anything below that being optimal (0 is great)

Thanks very much.

We stupidly cycled with fish :unsure:, and are trying to keep the ammonia down.

We have a 15 gallon tank with

4 Rummy Nose Tetras
3 black mollys
2 albino catfish
3 Guppys

The levels at the mo are

PH 7
Nitrite 1
Nitrate 3
Ammonia 2 (desperately trying to get it down, currenly using Ammo Lock)

We are using it every 2 days, so I hope it works.

The fish seem very happy, the water is clear and at 25 degrees. Am not feeding for a couple of days to see if that makes a diffence.

We did a 20% water change yesterday. How often should we do it?

I'd keep the feeding to a minimum like you are to try to minimize the ammonia created by the fish for the time being. I'd continue doing 20% water changes daily until the ammonia and nitrite readings lower considerably.

Brilliant, thanks for the advice.

Is it ok to use cooled boiled water? As we thought this water maybe better for the fish, than plain tap water?

We have dechlorinizer, just thought that they say distilled is better,and isnt boiled distilled?

someone suggested on another topic to use one kettle of boiled water added to every bucket of plain tap water. With the dechlorinizer plain tap water is usually fine, and i think they used the kettle just to bring the temp up just a little, less shock for the fishies

Brilliant, thanks. Yes we always measure the temp of the buckets before we add that water to the tank :)

We have dechlorinizer, just thought that they say distilled is better,and isnt boiled distilled?

Distilled is no good to us... and no, boiling actually makes things a little WORSE - you are concentrating the chemicals in the water by evaporating away some of the water !

Plain old COLD tap water... hot water from the tap is a bad idea, but I run the cold for a minute - to flush the "stood" water out of the pipes, then fill a kettle... half a kettle to a 3 gall bucket, topped off with cold does it for at this time of year... along with a splash of aquasafe in the bottom !
I use a length of hose to fill the bucket on the floor - the drop in height makes for a good mix - with a decent head on it !
Letting this stand for a while, I empty out the old tank water with another bucket... about 25% a week, which is 2 buckets for me.
I now mix another batch in the now empty 2nd bucket, add the first to the tank. Do any other work needed (such as scooping out duckweed :angry: ) then top off with the 2nd.
Sounds a LOT more complicated than it is, I have 3 tanks... takes about 30 mins the lot.

I don't think using boiled water would make much difference in terms of purity. If you want pure water, use RO. But as a way to combat new tank syndrome, so long as it's clean, fresh water which has been de-chlorinated, there's no going wrong!

Plain old COLD tap water... hot water from the tap is a bad idea

It depends on how your water heater works as to how true this is. If you have a hot water tub (or whatever it's called) where the water sits in a metal drum as it's heated, then it's not safe. But if you have a combi boiler where the cold water is heated on-the-fly then hot water is no different to cold.

Most reactions

Back