Leopard Gecko

that sounds fine as far as i can see. Is the wood small? or big enough to hide under? Cause mine likes to be hidden when hes about to shed. i would also ask your local exactly what day they get their live food deliveries. Knowing that can mean the difference between your ghecko having food, and not for a week :p hope for piccies when you get it :D

the wood is kinda small, i didnt want it too high incase the gecko fell off, but high enough to give the gecko something to climb on. i can arrage it probally so the gecko cen fit under it and hide.
i also found some moss, fern moss. so thats sorted, and i bought another cave too.

they wont climb too much on the log, but mine does use it sometimes to spy on crickets lol.

Mine uses the log for pooing on top of, I don't know why but he just likes it there haha.

lol. mine does when ive put it to the side. They are suprisingly hygenic pets. Like chose one corner for a toilet. My gerbils do the same

well i picked up my gecko this afternoon.
its a chocolate albino. unknown sex.
settled in well, hasnt eaten yet, but i only offered one small locoust.
its about 9-11 months old.
im also am looking after a younger leopard gecko for a week. its very young and small. but old enough to be kept alone. its acting a little funny, hard to describe, eyes slightly closed, looking thin, with a thin tail, but that could be because its young. it sits over the heat not moving much, eyes almost closed, with its neck moving, like its breathing, is it normal? when i try to handle it, it moves quick and jumps sometimes, so maybe im over reacting. its eaten nothing for 2-3 days proir top me looking after it. and edidnt bother with the micro crickets, or meal worms tonight. any ideas?
pictures to follow.

my advice, since you've picked a none normal ghecko, is to be very vigilant on food and behaviour. chocolate and albino geckos are bred for their colours, and so suffer more harshly from calcium defincincy. Even with the calcium supplements etc i would watch him very closely.

its not the cocolate albino that has a probelm, hes fine. acting normal and eaten a small locoust already. had a nice fat tail and looking well,
the younger one is a high tangerine, i eat 2 small mealworms, but left the crickets. acting ok when im handling it, but a big dopish in the box, maybe just relaxing and absorbing heat?

well i picked up my gecko this afternoon.
its a chocolate albino. unknown sex.
settled in well, hasnt eaten yet, but i only offered one small locoust.
its about 9-11 months old.
im also am looking after a younger leopard gecko for a week. its very young and small. but old enough to be kept alone. its acting a little funny, hard to describe, eyes slightly closed, looking thin, with a thin tail, but that could be because its young. it sits over the heat not moving much, eyes almost closed, with its neck moving, like its breathing, is it normal? when i try to handle it, it moves quick and jumps sometimes, so maybe im over reacting. its eaten nothing for 2-3 days proir top me looking after it. and edidnt bother with the micro crickets, or meal worms tonight. any ideas?
pictures to follow.

You should be able to sex the gecko as it is 9-11 months.It's very easy to do.Tip him/her over and next to his/her vent there will be pores.If they are really distinctive and slightly dark it is a male.If they are light and hardly noticable it's a female.

well i did what you said, i think its female, but not sure still
here are a few pictures of the young leopard gecko im looking after, i will get pictures of mine when she appeares from her cave.
01220013.jpg

01220014.jpg

01220012.jpg

01220017.jpg

Cool! Yup that's a baby!Still it seem to have a very skinny tale, even for a hatchling.If you have got scales weigh it, new born hatchlings should be around 2 1/2 - 3 grams and 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 inches in total length.I would not handle hatchlings atall, they are not ment to be handled really, they're jsut to small nad get stressed out.Leave a water dish and mini meal worm dish in there at all times and offer crickets say every 1-2 days.But during this time just plop them infront of it and walk away. :good:

thanks for the advice, not trying to oppose you, but why would these little guys be for sale in stores, if not meant to be handled? the friend im looking after it for, bought it from a reptile shop. i know most leopard geckos arent a big fan of being handled, but a little bit does no harm, right?
its about 8-10 weeks old now, not newly hatched.
the bottom of the box ( its one of those breeding boxes, with a bendy lid, ( http://www.cornishcrispa.co.uk/product_inf...roducts_id=2827 ))
has kitchen roll on, and a small water dish. i dont have a small meal worm dish, do u know where i can get them quickley.
i take the gecko out every evening, and place it in another smaller tub, with some micro crickets and mealworms, it sometimes eats a bit, sometimes nothing. lastnight it ate a mealworm, and i think a few crickets.
i will try to weigh the young gecko, but he feels so light in my hands, i doubt he will regester on the scales.
cheers

EDIT: update... the little guy ate a wax worm tonight, so isnt doing to badly.

thanks for the advice, not trying to oppose you, but why would these little guys be for sale in stores, if not meant to be handled? the friend im looking after it for, bought it from a reptile shop. i know most leopard geckos arent a big fan of being handled, but a little bit does no harm, right?
its about 8-10 weeks old now, not newly hatched.
the bottom of the box ( its one of those breeding boxes, with a bendy lid, ( http://www.cornishcrispa.co.uk/product_inf...roducts_id=2827 ))
has kitchen roll on, and a small water dish. i dont have a small meal worm dish, do u know where i can get them quickley.
i take the gecko out every evening, and place it in another smaller tub, with some micro crickets and mealworms, it sometimes eats a bit, sometimes nothing. lastnight it ate a mealworm, and i think a few crickets.
i will try to weigh the young gecko, but he feels so light in my hands, i doubt he will regester on the scales.
cheers

EDIT: update... the little guy ate a wax worm tonight, so isnt doing to badly.

Not handling them much when they are young is really just my opinion.They can just be so delicate and squirmy.But if your getting along with him thats ok :nod: You may want to feed it slightly bigger crickets then macro, jsut to get the weight putting on :) .

Have you got any pictures of your other one? :hey:

Most reactions

Back