Led Blacklight

atistang

Reaction score
I have a few glo fish in my 3 gal desktop tank. I want to make a LED moonlight, but i want to use black lights so they glow better. basically i want this to run all night and the goal is to not really see much if any light from the led's but just the fish swimming

can anyone point me in the right direction? the only led black lights i have found are flashlight fixtures that have 8+ led's in them.

Try searching for UV LEDS. Loads of places sell them but quality varies and I don't know how well they will work in this kind of application (it is something I have been considering as well though :) ).

As an Example:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35765&C=AffilWin89477&T=!!!gid!!!_14454442

Edit: the other thing to consider is are UV LEDS safe to use? I have been told before that decent UV LEDS can do a lot of damage to your eyes if you are not careful 9this is why I haven't put a UV LED unit together yet).

The UV LEDS on sale are safe to use (re the eyes... they are the wrong wavelength to cause damage, well - to be fair ANY bright light source WILL damage eyes, but you get the gist !)

A UV light source requires a fluorescent surface to "excite" , as most tanks contain nothing that fluoresces... I would say you need to rethink this :crazy:
Unless your the one who buys that "fishing float" gravel from pet shops ! lol :sick:

Most reactions

Back