Learning To Play Guitar

afireinside

A Shrine To Madness
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm learning to play guitar right now. I'd rather teach myself, rather than go to someone were you have to pay them. I can read tabs perfect fine, I know how to tune, detune, all that stuff. Right now, the only thing I have available to play on is a Fender Starcaster Acoustic. If Captain Retardo comes over, I get to play his Ibanez RGB 321 but, that's only if he brings it. So, anyway, I thought I'd just learn by reading tabs. So, I tried doing As I Lay Dying - Separation, because it sounded like a simpler instrumental peice. It's going okay, but not the best. I have to detune to drop C on the guitar, so it doesn't sound the best on acoustic. I can't find any good websites to help me learn. Do you guys know any? I'm looking to play more rock/ metal style stuff. Thanks!

I never found any either, I ended up buying a couple of really good books-look for 'learn chords' and 'learn licks' if you are interested. They teach you how to play chords properly , such as finger placement etc, and the licks books are fantastic when you progress to lead gutiars. :)

Bar Chords, open chords. Learn ALL the scales and start with the classics. You find that some of the older music, for example ACDC will teach you a lot of things that will be useful in playing modern music. I found it easier to play certain slipknot songs after I leart "shook me all night long" for example. Due to learning to get my fingering (ooer) right. Led Zep will be a good one to get those fingers of yours to stretch as well. GNR is useful as well, but is more fun than anythign else.... unless you're trying to play slash's solos then good luck to you lol. I wish I could play like him.

Thanks. I tried doing some finger streches today, and I was able to do them semi-good after Captain Retardo showed me. lol.

I wouldn't try to learn metal songs as a starter...Too hard. Start with easier rock and oldies songs. The Who, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Zepplin, have better songs to start out with.

Check this site for chords, scales, and other various crap:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index.php

Also, work on finger permutations, using all 4 fingers. Suck as :

ect.

If you need any other help please PM me and I'd be glad to give you a hand!

Okay, but I was able to get most of the As I Lay Dying song down. lol. But now I can't, because my brother somehow managed to break the thing that holds the strings in place, so now he needs to get a new one.

I wouldn't try to learn metal songs as a starter...Too hard. Start with easier rock and oldies songs. The Who, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Zepplin, have better songs to start out with.

I wouldn't say metal songs are that hard to start out with, albeit classic rock is easier, metal is still not that hard (if you don't do the solos), plus it teaches you alternate picking very well. I started out with metal songs and some lighter finger-picked stuff.
And AFIreinside isn't a complete beginner, hes learning quickly and I bet he could get a whole black sabbath song down by now.

Okay, but I was able to get most of the As I Lay Dying song down. lol. But now I can't, because my brother somehow managed to break the thing that holds the strings in place, so now he needs to get a new one.

:lol: your brother broke a nut

I wouldn't say metal songs are that hard to start out with, albeit classic rock is easier, metal is still not that hard (if you don't do the solos), plus it teaches you alternate picking very well. I started out with metal songs and some lighter finger-picked stuff.
And AFIreinside isn't a complete beginner, hes learning quickly and I bet he could get a whole black sabbath song down by now.

:lol: your brother broke a nut

Thank you for the wonderful compliment Retardo. Haha. I didn't even know you still came here. And yes, my brother did bust a nut. lol. You can replace those, right?

I find and play stuff from [URL="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/[/URL] :) it even has a hover over function so you can see how to play a chord if it's one you don't know :good:

That's where I've been finding all my tabs.

Okay, so I'm learning to play guitar right now. I'd rather teach myself, rather than go to someone were you have to pay them. I can read tabs perfect fine, I know how to tune, detune, all that stuff. Right now, the only thing I have available to play on is a Fender Starcaster Acoustic. If Captain Retardo comes over, I get to play his Ibanez RGB 321 but, that's only if he brings it.

Do you know, I absolutely though this post was titled "Learning to play air guitar" :lol:

I was wondering why you'd bother learning to tune it....I could understand why you'd learn chords and such, and that you'd even imagining which guitar you're playing, but when you said you friends bring his imaginary guitar over and you get a chance at playing that, I really though you'd gone in off the deep end.

Um, I've re-read it now.

Okay, so I'm learning to play guitar right now. I'd rather teach myself, rather than go to someone were you have to pay them. I can read tabs perfect fine, I know how to tune, detune, all that stuff. Right now, the only thing I have available to play on is a Fender Starcaster Acoustic. If Captain Retardo comes over, I get to play his Ibanez RGB 321 but, that's only if he brings it.

Do you know, I absolutely though this post was titled "Learning to play air guitar" :lol:

I was wondering why you'd bother learning to tune it....I could understand why you'd learn chords and such, and that you'd even imagining which guitar you're playing, but when you said you friends bring his imaginary guitar over and you get a chance at playing that, I really though you'd gone in off the deep end.

Um, I've re-read it now.

Hahaha, that's funny! I needed a laugh today. :good:

Another option for free guitar education is hanging out at guitar shops. There's a Guitar Center near me that has folks hanging out on the weekend, just messing with gear & playing. They swap ideas back & forth, it's pretty cool. I've been out of the guitar/band thing for many years, but still stop by there. So many of these younger guys just blow me away with what they know, completely amazing.

Most reactions

Back