Leapord Cory With Damaged Fin

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ythao01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so I just bought some more leapord Cory's to my 55g tank and after a day or two I noticed that one of the Cory's has a damaged pectoral fin (probably from the other fishes petco put in with them). it's just a bit red at the joint and when he swims he doesn't move it. it also doesn't seem infected and he's swimming around ok, just that he occasionally rests for a short period of time. I was thinking about moving him to another tank but I have no more heaters. do you think he'll have a decent chance of surviving in a community tank with no fin nippers like this?

Could you possibly get a picture? In case someone else may recognize something wrong with it.
I got a cory from there as well and he had no fins. It took a few months but now he has most of his tail and the other fins but no dorsal fin.
So I think you should be fine, just make sure to keep the water clean, good diet, and make sure no one bothers him :)

Yes plenty of water changes to prevent any infections and should be fine.

Get those pics to us though :p

Bad news, I suspect that the Cory may have gill flukes or something gill related. I separated him into an old hanging breeder tank I had as that's the best I could do right now. The bottom of his right side gill seems to be pinkish and extends to his Fin. He now swims with both fins clamped and is breathing quickly. Sorry for the bad quality picture but it was the best I could do.

Oh no! So sorry to hear that.
I don't see a picture? :c If you're having trouble you can upload it onto a photo sharing website such as photo bucket and then link it here.

Sounds really like a bacterial cause. But please place a pic !

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/ythao031/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20131217_220656_zps8694729e.jpg.html

I was to late and he died this morning. I'll take it as a lesson to always check fish thougholy when buying them. But can you guys identify what was wrong with him so I can avoid something like this in the future? The picture quality is bad but he seemed to have a white/milky flakey substance coming from his gill or else it was coming from his fin. Only one of his gills semed infected. His gill seemed more reddish pink then the others and he didnt try to run away when I captured him with the net. His fin seemed pretty bad also. Sorry for the late picture as i am still a student and have alot of school work and sport activites.

How long did you have your tank. This is commonly seen with new Corys (often in new tanks). It might be a stress-relates (bacterial) infection.
Sometimes large waterchanges + melafix can help in an early stage. Other opinions appreciated !

I've had it for about a month and a half now. Maybe it was trouble adapting to a new tank since I recently bought them?

Which LFS did you get the Corydoras from? I suspect they may have treated one of their tanks with aquarium salt which is not compatible with Cory's. I've had a shoal of Corydoras in one particular tank for about 5 years and I've never experienced gill issues, and ironically, I've never used salt in that aquarium.

Your cory more than likely had a fin issue as these are more easily damaged due to the unpredictable and imprecise way in which they swim (they often bump into sharp / pointy objects etc).

Lastly, I agree with OP when he/she says "I should check the fish thoroughly" before buying. As corydoras can easily damage themselves and because they are often very small when they are imported into stores, you need to keep your eyes peeled for any damage or disease.

mark4785 said:
Which LFS did you get the Corydoras from? I suspect they may have treated one of their tanks with aquarium salt which is not compatible with Cory's. I've had a shoal of Corydoras in one particular tank for about 5 years and I've never experienced gill issues, and ironically, I've never used salt in that aquarium.

Your cory more than likely had a fin issue as these are more easily damaged due to the unpredictable and imprecise way in which they swim (they often bump into sharp / pointy objects etc).

Lastly, I agree with OP when he/she says "I should check the fish thoroughly" before buying. As corydoras can easily damage themselves and because they are often very small when they are imported into stores, you need to keep your eyes peeled for any damage or disease.

Hey Mark,

Think you might have the wrong impression about Corys there.
I am keeping about 150 of there fellows, and none of them swim imprecise or bump into objects.
You must have "the blind Corys from Alabama" then, cause mine swim precise as a razorblade and never bump into something.
Without joking : Those fish are very clever/smart fish that don't damage itself very often / easy / more than others.
Only in stress-situation they can (as all fish). They have very sensitive barbels, sideline-organs aso

Cheers Aad

DoubleDutch said:

Hey Mark,

Think you might have the wrong impression about Corys there.
I am keeping about 150 of there fellows, and none of them swim imprecise or bump into objects.
You must have "the blind Corys from Alabama" then, cause mine swim precise as a razorblade and never bump into something.
Without joking : Those fish are very clever/smart fish that don't damage itself very often / easy / more than others.
Only in stress-situation they can (as all fish). They have very sensitive barbels, sideline-organs aso

Cheers Aad

I can only recall what I've observed. I am referring to the way they swim when they are not on the base of a tank; I've witnessed them swim clumsily, indecisively and sometimes franticly.

Okay Mark, but thats really strange in other occassions than panic, stress and probably feedingtime (they can be pigs when fed).
Even blind Corys will find their way perfectly in a tank they know !!!
These fish really are smart little buggers !!!

Most reactions

Back