Leaky Tank

I have a Fluval tank. It is rectangular....not the bowed type. I think it is leaking water, (like an evaporation kind of leak) at the front where the hood/cover joins the glass. The water doesn't leak from evaporated water coming out of any of the cover items but deffo from where the hood base overlaps the glass.

I am finding it difficult to describe!! The width of the front glass is about 30 ins. If I run my finger where the hood meets the glass it seems to be bonded to the glass at the two ends, but there is about 6 ins at the centre where the hood cover doesn't seem to be in contact with the glass..only a few millimitres really..but I can see droplets of water forming there. They then run down the outside of the glass and have started to cause slight damage to wooden stand.

I suppose I could have chat with the place that sold me the tank...but is there any way to stop this irritating problem?

If you can find where it is leaking and its a problem with the seals, you can buy aquarium silicon and fix it. If its a problem with the glass then I think the only thing you could do is to replace the pane or get a different tank.

If you can find where it is leaking and its a problem with the seals, you can buy aquarium silicon and fix it. If its a problem with the glass then I think the only thing you could do is to replace the pane or get a different tank.

Thanks for the reply. The problem isn't a leak at a glass pane to glass pane join. But where the hood frame overlaps the glass at the top of the tank.
Does sillicone just seal glass to glass and not glass to plastic?

If the water in the tank touches the inner base of the hood, then you have the cause of the problem. Drop the water line to just below this point an the leak should stop. This happens often with Juwel hoods on the Record range, but I don't use any other pre-manufactured tanks, so can't realy comment of the Fluvals.

If the water inside is only touching glass, then there is an issue somewhere.

HTH
Rabbut

Thanks for the reply. The problem isn't a leak at a glass pane to glass pane join. But where the hood frame overlaps the glass at the top of the tank.
Does sillicone just seal glass to glass and not glass to plastic?

I have the same problem with my Fluval Roma 240. A the odd droplet of water runs down the outside of the front pane from the hood frame - always in the same place. It's not often, usually just when I'm doing maintenance or if the fish are a bit frisky but it is annoying. Dropping the water line helps. But I'd be interested in any other fixes.

[/quote] (Otterdance)

I have the same problem with my Fluval Roma 240. A the odd droplet of water runs down the outside of the front pane from the hood frame - always in the same place. It's not often, usually just when I'm doing maintenance or if the fish are a bit frisky but it is annoying. Dropping the water line helps. But I'd be interested in any other fixes.
[/quote]

I have the water line about two inches underneath the hood line. The glass pane looks like it runs about another inch into the hood leaving a total water to top of glass level of three inches. Surely plenty of room!!! Like you..the water leak is always in the same place. I have tried to slide a credit card under the where the hood and glass meet and it looks like there is some form of sealant over about 75% of the length of the tank. Is it just a case then of bunging some sealant between the hood cover/glass on the part that leaks?

Most reactions

Back