Lead Weights?

jcmed

Reaction score
Im new to putting real plants in my 50 gallon tank. I was wondering if it was ok to lightly tie three together at a time and

attach lead weights on then to keep the stubborn things on the bottom in the graval....my fish won't get lead poisoning,
will they? :blink:

Wont get lead posioning.
Make sure the weight doesnt crush the stem/roots.
"Lead" weights are really only there during transportation, but if your plants wont stay down then it's a good method

Yeah it makes sense to have a lead weight on the bottom of the plant but when the plant gets established the roots will grow and want to go there own way. I wouldnt reccommend myself, Unless you keep it on for a temporary period then remove later on when the plant has taken root/established.

Wont get lead posioning.
Make sure the weight doesnt crush the stem/roots.
"Lead" weights are really only there during transportation, but if your plants wont stay down then it's a good method

Thanks, I appreciate your input :good:

I left the lead weights on the very first plants I put in my aquarium, almost a year ago, no casualties as of yet. well other than one neon, but I saw him being eaten :(
I think you only need to watch for lead poisoning if you have quite acidic water as it will break it down quicker, more neutral water or alkaline water wouldnt break down any lead for many years.
:good:

I left the lead weights on the very first plants I put in my aquarium, almost a year ago, no casualties as of yet. well other than one neon, but I saw him being eaten :(
I think you only need to watch for lead poisoning if you have quite acidic water as it will break it down quicker, more neutral water or alkaline water wouldnt break down any lead for many years.
:good:

They sometime block runners and stunt growth too.

I use a rubber band to tie my plants to a rock to weight it down. I stay away from lead.
no.gif

As others have said the main risk is dmg as the plant grows the metal themselve be it lead or otherwise are chemically inert so will do absolutely nothing to the water in the tank. The few plants I have it on I used it as loosely as I could to hold the plant down as possible and even then only because my substrate topping is JBL Manado which is so light it holds nothing down lol

Most reactions

Back