Large Tank In Apartment

Maybe do some research about different structures and weight capacities and see what happens.

I agree with K-Holed, our replies are merely opinions, and that a qualified professional would be your best bet.

Is there anyway you could see what structure/wood sizes they are using for the first floor?

-FHM

But as ever, doing so is at your own risk and what people have said here is mainly opinion. Without seeking advice from a qualified proffesional, noone here can know for sure.
Yeah, I agree. Check with a professional.

You manager may not want someone putting a heavy aquarium in the apartment complex and would say that the limit should be quite a bit less than what would be acceptable. I do know on many leases they ask if you have anything, like aquariums or waterbeds that require large amounts of water and there could be risk associated with either leaking (and what if one does and causes mold to grow in the walls?) so a larger deposit may be required. If I were your manager, I'd request a HUGE pet deposit ;)

I agree with k holed, 1.5kn m[sup]2[/sup] is equal to 150kg per m[sup]2[/sup] :good: Which is a bit pants and the engineer will have majorly underestimated. I'd get an independant structural guy in.
When you say first floor, how many floors up is that? There might be a UK/US confusion thing. In UK, there's basement, ground floor (street level), 1st floor, 2nd floor, etc. So is yours upstairs?

Sorry to invade, but, whats the maximum weight you would put on 2x joists in the average home? when the tank would be as close to the wall as poss, and the wall is a supporting wall for the house?

jw,

Adam

Sorry to invade, but, whats the maximum weight you would put on 2x joists in the average home? when the tank would be as close to the wall as poss, and the wall is a supporting wall for the house?

jw,

Adam

How long's a piece of string? It very much depends on the house and the materials used to build it. In an older house you may find much larger joists than in a more modern, economy conscious build.

jw,

Adam

How long's a piece of string? It very much depends on the house and the materials used to build it. In an older house you may find much larger joists than in a more modern, economy conscious build.

i spose, it is an older house, about 80-90yrs now, i think the joists are 2x4's...

If the worst happens and it does go through the floor then prepare to be sued :crazy:

Incidentally, the length of the aquarium is not important on its own. It's the length x width in relation to the height that's important to suss out the force on the floor per square metre. :good:

I just had my house inspected for final inspection three weeks ago. So brand new construction. Apparently the standard is something like 40 lbs per square foot, but I imagine this is an average. An engineer cannot design a house like this without using, as someone said, cardboard. All the requirements have to increases this. I mean how could anyone walk on a floor if it was literally 40 lbs. And the standard can't be literal because the building inspector, no joke, weighs over 300 lbs. On top of that, I have a hearth with a woodburning stove.... the stove weighs over 300 lbs... and lots of rock masonry. It has to be close to 500 lbs.

I just set up a 60 gallon with 50 lbs of sand a couple of days ago. I'm guessing this will weight close to 600 lbs when finished. It is against a wall, so there is going to be more support there anyway. It would be nice to talk to an engineer about what is the effective capability of a normally built floor.

Most reactions

Back