Large Empty Tank And Thinking Of Oscars.....

If it were me i'd keep the dollars and swap the Texas for the Frontosa but as it stands, given the tanksize I think it should work out ok, as 3 cichlids in a tank of this size isn't a lot really when you come to think about it,

You can certainly try and in most cases i've seen does work out ok, Like Oscars, Frontosa seem to be quite intelligent and not overly aggressive and IMO a good tankmate provided you aren't aiming for any kind of biotope
im not aiming for a biotope of any kind just a nice selection of fish that i would not normally be able to keep. ive been and got 2 sun catfish today as my bottom feeders so thats threw any biotope out of the window :lol:
ive come up with a list for stocking that seems to be ok, it is -

2 x sun catfish (already got 2 small ones)
1 x oscar
1 x red spotted severum
1 x texas cichlid
1 x large pleco
6 x silverdollars (not 100% on these yet)

and now if the frontosa is suitable thats gone and messed it all up again :lol: maybe swap the silverdollars for the frontosa or is that too many big cichlids in this tank?

THe potential problem there is the texas.

Might work out. Some are relatively laid back. Others simply cannot live with anything else at all. If you are really, really, keen on the tex, then give it a go. A Choc would be a much safer option though.

You can certainly try and in most cases i've seen does work out ok, Like Oscars, Frontosa seem to be quite intelligent and not overly aggressive and IMO a good tankmate provided you aren't aiming for any kind of biotope
im not aiming for a biotope of any kind just a nice selection of fish that i would not normally be able to keep. ive been and got 2 sun catfish today as my bottom feeders so thats threw any biotope out of the window :lol:
ive come up with a list for stocking that seems to be ok, it is -

2 x sun catfish (already got 2 small ones)
1 x oscar
1 x red spotted severum
1 x texas cichlid
1 x large pleco
6 x silverdollars (not 100% on these yet)

and now if the frontosa is suitable thats gone and messed it all up again :lol: maybe swap the silverdollars for the frontosa or is that too many big cichlids in this tank?

THe potential problem there is the texas.

Might work out. Some are relatively laid back. Others simply cannot live with anything else at all. If you are really, really, keen on the tex, then give it a go. A Choc would be a much safer option though.
im not too sure im that keen on the chocolate cichlid......

I just read that tex's are "highly aggressive" :S all depends on the individual I'm guessing?
this is much harder than i thought it would be. you watch ill get all the fish that will apparently mix and then they will all start scrapping.... :lol:

I just read that tex's are "highly aggressive" :S all depends on the individual I'm guessing?

There are 2 sorts of "blue" texas Herichthys cyanoguttatus is the more aggressive one, I have the Herichthys carpintis.

Thats why I said I would go with the Front over the Texas,

How about swapping the Texas for a EBJD? or maybe a Nicaraguense :hyper:

Whats wrong with chocolate cichlids :huh: dont let cadburys hear you say that :crazy: hes stunning, :lol:
I love my choccy
having never seen an adult close up in person i can only go on the pics on the net.... maybe you can convince me otherwise :unsure:

Certainly.....mattlee scroll down.

.REPEAT AFTER ME..CHOCOLATES ARE THE BEST....
fist-800.jpg

Thats why I said I would go with the Front over the Texas,

How about swapping the Texas for a EBJD? or maybe a Nicaraguense :hyper:
yes good choices, is the nicaraguanese the fish on wills avatar? so are you saying swap the texas for 1 of these and have a frontosa?
sorry davo its on your avatar too :blush:

thanks Nelly :lol:

still not convinced though.... i think with all the colourfull cichlids out there, they seem to be getting the attention first im affraid. sorry dude :/

Most reactions

Back