Just Set Up My Adf Tank!

fuman_chica

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I had a coupon (haha that makes me laugh...) for 5 ADFs for $5. So I went and got five and a five gallon tank with a power filter (the MiniBow 5 tank I think....)

Well, I set it up and it looks BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm so excited. I've had ADFs before, but never a tank dedicated to them.
I copied someone on here and bought a hermet crap decoration which is two palm trees with a hammic tied between them. And then I have a flowy plant and a cave as well. Once the tank is all cycled out (I took gravel from my established main tank to use as the gravel in this one) then I'll get more gravel so I can put a few more plants in for them.

When my daughter gets up from her nap I'll go get some pictures.

I got a really porky frog... he/she is so cute!! I love it! It likes to stare at me. They make me laugh, they are so cute!

wow! lucky you! great price on them. i brought 2 today, and they cost me £7 each ($14~ each!)

Yeah, if I didn't have the coupon it would have been $3.50US per frog. It would have been about $20 with tax. So it was an amazing buy!!

Okay, so after doing some research, I have only one girl! She's the one that is porky looking. haha

Alrighty, I got a few pictures. Not the greatest, but decent. :)

The tank set-up:
tanksetup.jpg

The froggies:
DSC00211.jpg

Two of the boys:
DSC00216.jpg

The one and only female:
DSC00218.jpg

Chilling out by the hammic:
DSC00215.jpg

Aw, so cute. :wub: I bet they'll like to sit in the hammock. The only thing I don't like is the blue gravel, but as long as it suits them or you :wub::wub:

I've had blue gravel in my main tank since 2004. I like it with the hammock thing because it looks like it's a little island and that they are in water (haha... they are... :blink: ) outside the island. I think it's cute. I also like it because they stand out instead of blending in.

but I'm thinking later on (when i have more money) I'm going to get sand for them instead. So I doubt it will be blue forever.

YAY!!! They are smart too!!!

I put in a little plater thing and put their food on it. they found it within a few hours. My previous ADFs were horrible at feeding and I was never sure they got food. But these little buggers ate all the food! I'm so glad they are smart!!! :D :good:

i tlooks good. i dont often like blue gravel, but it looks good in this tank as like you said, looks like water around the island. i would probally move the plant to the back and have an open space for them, or even add some smaller plants there, but its good for now. more plants would be a hit though, and to change to sand would be easier on the frogs bellies, and would blend with the island, but its up to you. great tank anyhow. bet your frogs are happy in there, glad they are eating well too. keep us updated.

They have alot more open area than it looks like in the picture.

they were hyper active today. Swimming all around and everything. They ate the food REALLY quick today because they knew right where it would be at. I must say the food dish is 100 times easier than trying to put the food in their faces.

I am planning on putting in some small silk plants (and maybe one or two tall ones as they tend to like to hang out in tall plants) and switch to sand when I get the money. My hubby wasn't too happy about me buying the new tank, so I can't get that stuff for a few months. but it will be before long. :)

i think adding a few extra silk plants will look good and give the frogs something to interact with.
hope changing to sand goes well. im sure ti will lookk even better with sand.

One of the boys mated with the girl today. I had put food in the food dish and went and finished getting ready for work. When I came back into the room they were laying upside down the boy on bottom latched to her stomach. It was cute though cuz the girls front foot (hand...) was shaking... she was holding it up in the air and it was just twitching about.

But I take it they are pretty happy if they are already mating! :hyper: :D

They eat the food all the food in like 10 minutes or so now so that's good. Maybe the up keep on their water quality won't be so bad! :)

I had 3 ADF in a 5 gallon tank once, most of them always stayed behind the filter tube and would not move until I nudged them out :/.

My frogs are mating like crazy... I even walked in on a threesome yesterday. hahaha And they were at it again this morning. That boy just doesn't want to let go of the girl.

Should I be worried at all about it? I mean, I don't really care, but I don't know if it is going to stress the girl out or whatever. Should I let them be or should I move the girl to one of my betta tanks?

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure! :)

The three some.
DSC00234.jpg

"Are you watching us??"
DSC00240.jpg

Still hooked together...
DSC00241.jpg

good pictures, i dont think the females will be bothered too much, there is only one female right? maybe it would be best to place her somewhere else for a while if the mating continues for a long time. it could be mating season so that would explain it. i know nothing about raising the tadpoles or hatching the eggs though, maybe do some internet researcvh if your wanting the young to survive. in a 5 gallon dedicated to ADF's, i would say you could even add a few more female to the tank, with 4 males, it would be best to buy another 4 females, but that would be over stocking your tank i think, so you could swap some of the males, im only going on the ratio of liverbeares, as for example its recomended to have 3 female guppies to ever male. not sure if its the same with frogs, but i would guess it is.

I probably would get one or two more females, but the only place close to me that sells them is Walmart. The tank that they have them in there is so algea filled that you can barely see anything. So I don't know if they would be able to get a specific frog if I was to ask for it. :unsure:

They weren't "together" when I got home from work. they were still by each other but the male wasn't holding on to her anymore. they were just hanging out in the plant. So I guess if he bugs her too much in the next day or so, I'll move her to one of the betta tanks.

Thank you for your advice! :D

Most reactions

Back