Just Got My New Tank!

downinthedumps

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldnt find anything that answered my questions :rolleyes:

Got my new Juwel Rio 125 setup but had a few issues along the way.

Cleaned tank, the free gravel that came with the tank was "Dorset pre-washed aquarium gravel". Now I assumed this was already clean so put it staight in :angry:. Unfortunately I had to take the tank back outside and re-wash it due to getting dirt everywhere off the gravel and water turning brown!

Cleaned tank, washed gravel and filled tank with water and added aqua safe for the clorine. Water was a bit cloudy but it cleared up a bit over night. Also the glass seemed to get white "limescale" horizontal streaks on it for some reason. I got a sponge cleaner from the PAH and cleaned it and seems ok now.

Water still a bit cloudy though.

1.) I have addded about 1.5 cm of gravel, is this enough or should I add some more?
2.) I want to start the fishless cycle with household ammonia but I need to get a Test Kit first, any recommendations?
3.) Should I add living plants and decorations (bogwood etc..) before I start the fishless cycle, during, or after it?
4.) I am hoping my water change after the fishless cycle will clear up the initial cloudyness of the water.

Thanks.

I use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It tests pH, High Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. BTW welcome!!! :hi:

:fish: :fish: :fish:

If going planted I would recommend you have your substrate about 2 inch deep. If fishless cycling then you will definately need a test kit, the api kit is ideal. Under £20 from ebay. Your water will become really coudy as you will soon experience a bacterial bloom. This is a good thing as you know then that the nitrogen cycle has started. Have a read in the begginers resource centre thread pinned at the top of this section, it has everything you need tn know.

thanks.

My Juwel tank has the filters in the compartment in a corner. When I do a large water change (ie, 90%) should I take the filters out and put them in water while I fill the tank up to preserve the bacteria? In a couple of weeks I plan to drain 90% water out, add more gravel and plants then fill back up with a hose pipe.

thanks.

My Juwel tank has the filters in the compartment in a corner. When I do a large water change (ie, 90%) should I take the filters out and put them in water while I fill the tank up to preserve the bacteria? In a couple of weeks I plan to drain 90% water out, add more gravel and plants then fill back up with a hose pipe.

No need to take it out a long as you fill the tank up and set the filter going straight away. The filter pads need to stay damp but should be fine for that period of time. I would also research what fish you want in there. Gravel isnt particularly friendly to many fish who like to dig around, many of us recommend sand. Argos play sand being ideal if you want to keep it cheap. Can do your whole tank for £6 (two bags)

No need to remove the sponges, they will be fine for the length of time it takes for you to do any maintenance etc. Just make sure that any water you add to the tank is dechlorinated, so if using a hose pipe you will have to add the correct amount of dechlorinator to the water already in the tank.

thanks.

No need to take it out a long as you fill the tank up and set the filter going straight away. The filter pads need to stay damp but should be fine for that period of time. I would also research what fish you want in there. Gravel isnt particularly friendly to many fish who like to dig around, many of us recommend sand. Argos play sand being ideal if you want to keep it cheap. Can do your whole tank for £6 (two bags)

d@mn you! :lol:

I'm happy now, did a 90% water change, washed some more gravel and put it in (properly washed this time) and the cloudyness has almost gone, water looks almost crystal clear now. I will give it another week and do another water change.

I did add 5ml of household ammonia on Friday and put in another 5ml after my water change. Unfortuantely my testing kit has not arrived yet so I can't check levels but the water did start to smell a bit like my old goldfish tank so I think there is something going on in it.

First of my plants (Heteranthera zosterifolia) and some bogwood I ordered from ebay should be arriving shortly. Any tips for planting and the bogwood please?

soak the bogwood in a bucket while your tank is cycling , add it when its cycled and you shouldnt get any tannins, with any luck. add the plants once cycled as you dont want algae forming, which high ammonia will promote.

sigh I was hoping to add some plants while the tank was cycling.

Thanks for the bogwood tip.

You may find that the bogwood will still leech tannins, i've got a piece that is still leeching after nearly a year. (although it has improved with time!)

I would also try and keep the lights off whilst cycling as light and ammonia will only have one outcome unfortunately.

Made some progress. Last Friday (8 days ago) I put about 7ml of ammonia from Homebase into the tank. My api fresh water test kit arrived on Thursday so when I tested it was a very dark green colour which I guess was 8ppm + ammonia. Nitrite and Nitrate was 0 ppm.

On Thursday my Seachem Stability also arrived which I have been adding. This morning I tested and the ammonia test was definitely a lighter shade of green just only slightly darker than the 4ppm result. And Nitrite was 0.25 ppm. So some movement.

I am hoping tomorrow morning ammonia to have dropped a bit more.

I have a couple of questions:

1.) When filling the tubes in the api test kit at the moment I am just dipping them into the tank but that seems like asking for trouble as any left over chemicals can get into the tank water? What's the best way to fill them? After checking the result I do rinse them out in tap water so they are clean for next time.

2.) My tank has a slight ammonia/'plastic' smell when I open the lid, is that normal?

With my test kit I got a pipette to put water in to my test kit, but I have a nutrifin one.

and as for the smell... I've never done a fishless cycle so I cant comment =]

Don't let the ammonia levels go over 4 or 5ppm, as that will encourage the wrong sort of bacteria.

I have a plastic jug that I use for 'fishy things, and fill my test tubes up from that, but as long as you've washed the test tubes you're fine to just dip them in the tank; any chemical residues would be so small as to be irrelevant.

I've only ever done a fishless cycle using rotting fish food, so I have no idea on the small either!

Most reactions

Back