Just Curious.........

FWFishLover

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i was just wondering......cycling a tank is just to mature filter media right?
if so couldnt you just not cycle a tank and put mature filter media in instead.
just curious i guess for my next tank.

Yes. This is a very popular method of cycling if you have another tank at hand. You usually can completly sycle the tank in a week with adeqeate media from another tank. You just add ammonia every week to get the bacteria built up, then SLOWLY stock your tank.

Yes you are correct its all about cycling "maturing" the filter media. If you have filter media already cycled "matured" no reason to try to do it again put it on the new tank and start stocking it. Make sure to stock slow though or you could cause a mini cycle because the only present bacteria will be in the filter.

Whatever the water is filtering through. If there is a filter cartridge, then I would probally removethe filter cartridge and replace it with a new one.

Not if you don't remove all of the media. In most HOB filters, there are two cartridges. One is the regular filter cartride, and then there is another. If you only remove the first one, and replace it, then you shouldn't have much of a problem. BUtI would reccomend that you do biweekly water changes for a couple weeks in the tank that you took the media out of.

Not if you don't remove all of the media. In most HOB filters, there are two cartridges. One is the regular filter cartride, and then there is another. If you only remove the first one, and replace it, then you shouldn't have much of a problem. BUtI would reccomend that you do biweekly water changes for a couple weeks in the tank that you took the media out of.
k.
thnx

I thought you were asking if you took a filter from a cycled tank and put it on a new tank if you would be good. Didn't know you were talking about just taking a little of the media!

I've often thought about just swapping the whole filter over when I get my new tank.
My new tank will have a new filter, but if I put my current filter in along with my fish, Ive always wondered if that would be ok.

Most reactions

Back