Job Interview

bunjiweb

mmmmmmmarines
Reaction score
I have a job interview at my local fish shop on Tuesday morning, 11am. Its at Aquatic Habitat in Brockworth! I can't wait but i just wanted to know if any of you guys who work at fish shops have any tips for me?

What kind of things do you think they would ask in an interview for a fish shop? I have done interviews before but I think it will be fairly relaxed :)

Please wish me luck, i really want to work there!

Ben

i never actually had an interview for my job in a fish shop but.....

the boss seems to care most about teachines newbies, knowing your fish, good general customer care.

just show your knowledge and care towards fish and you should be fine.

Good Luck!!

Well they know me quite well already, so they have an idea of how much i know about fish...

I have nearly a years experience at senior sales level in retail, and a previous 4 months at sales. Previous to this i was a self-employed computer technician....

So I have good experience with people who haven't got a clue what they are doing..

I am really nervous but so happy at the same time :D

Ben

They asked me if I knew about the nitrogen cycle and if I had any fish. That was about it. But they treated me like crap and treated their fish the same way I realized so I quit. I hope you picked a good fish shop to work in because you may see some stuff going on that you won't like. Good luck though, hope you get it. :thumbs:

Its one of the best fish shops in this part of England. I know the guys are all very dedicated fish keepers and the tanks are always kept up to a brilliant standard.

So dont worry, I shall not be joining the ranks of a fish torture clinique...

bunjiweb said:
Its one of the best fish shops in this part of England. I know the guys are all very dedicated fish keepers and the tanks are always kept up to a brilliant standard.

So dont worry, I shall not be joining the ranks of a fish torture clinique...
Good for you. :thumbs: I was so happy when I was working with the fish, until a week later I saw what really was going on. I mean they'd sell you a red tailed catfish if you had a 1 gallon bowl. :rolleyes: :angry:

Anyways watch out if you have any blind cave fish. I had to stick my arm in their tank and scrub some of the algae off the tank for them...they all attacked my arm at once. :lol: Guess they didn't know what it was and thought it was food or something. It didn't hurt, but became pretty annoying. :p

Oh yea and I also got bit by 10 oscars thinking my hand was food.

Working with fish is fun though and I hope you enjoy it. As long as you have a cool manager and work with people you like you should do fine.

Hope you get the job! :thumbs:

EDIT: Hope you have room in your tanks for new fish, as once you work there awhile you'll get attached to certain fish and want to bring them all home. :lol: That is what happened to me. I brought home a fish every other day. :p

How wonderful for you!
I'm always incredibly happy when I learn that someone that really cares for fish goes to work at a fish store - and that it's not just a "To get me thru college" type of job.

Best of luck to you, it sounds like they'd be nuts NOT to hire you! :thumbs:

just one thing to watch out for.....

your going to end up looking for things you can buy in the shop, and if they let you look at the fish lists your going to start buying alot more fish.

Paul_MTS said:
just one thing to watch out for.....

your going to end up looking for things you can buy in the shop, and if they let you look at the fish lists your going to start buying alot more fish.
Agreed! :lol:

I already thought of this.... But i can be very restrained if i need to. I know when i have enough fish in my tank. I wouldnt overstock just to get a specific fish (unless it was never being imported into the country ever again, then i might ponder it ;))

Ben

bunjiweb said:
I already thought of this.... But i can be very restrained if i need to. I know when i have enough fish in my tank. I wouldnt overstock just to get a specific fish (unless it was never being imported into the country ever again, then i might ponder it ;))

Ben
That is what I thought too. Until I saw those cute baby german blue rams I had to take two home! :lol: Then the glass cats...and so on and so forth. :wub:

BettaMomma said:
How wonderful for you!
I'm always incredibly happy when I learn that someone that really cares for fish goes to work at a fish store - and that it's not just a "To get me thru college" type of job.

Best of luck to you, it sounds like they'd be nuts NOT to hire you! :thumbs:
I'm trying to get a job at the LFS to put myself through college.. :*)

I will probably apply for a job at pets at home in a few years. Not the best fish related job, but its the only fairly local shop to me. I'd love to get a job in the Emsworth one, but it is too far and I don't know how to get a bus to there.

I've only been keeping fish for a couple months and am already hooked, just bought my 4th tank yesterday. I have already been thinking it would be nice to open a LFS after retirement (I'm 52). One of the LFS I visit is like that. The guy is retired and he is only open 4 days a week. Good luck with the job. I'm so hooked, I would probably spend more buying fish, tanks, accessories each week than what I earned in salary.

Most reactions

Back