I've Found Eggs! (See Pics)

How exciting, I'm so envious! I've had hundreds of eggs over the past couple of years, all unfertilised so I think my boy is firing blanks :(

How exciting, I'm so envious! I've had hundreds of eggs over the past couple of years, all unfertilised so I think my boy is firing blanks :(

I find that the more males you have the higher the chances of fertilisation of the eggs- corys are very peaceful with each other so its fine to have more males than females with each other :thumbs: .

Also be very careful of egg fungus, as this can attack the eggs spreading throughout both fertilised & unfertilised ones, ruining the whole batch. Always remove any dodgey looking eggs ASAP :nod: .

Well here they are, not a great pic sorry.. theyre much bigger than I expected though!

lilcorys.jpg

Food-wise, so far I've ground down a brine shrimp pellet as much as I could.. I think they ate some :/ Like I said, I wasn't planning on any of this! Also, this hasn't come at a great time as I won't be home for a few days this week :(

What do I need to do in terms of water changes? My tank is quite under populated and well filtered and planted. Do I need to do any extra water changes? I mean, the conditions must be pretty good if my corys decided to spawn ;)

Thanks, I've added some Java Moss.. they're still alive in the net! :good: I've been grinding the brine shrimp pellets with a pestle and mortar and adding some tank water, then using a syringe to squirt the mixture into the net. Its so fine that it seeps through the net however I'm sure they manage to eat some of it.. and now with the Java moss i think that will catch some of it.

Regarding water changes.. am I ok just to continue with my normal weekly regime?

Sorry I don't have a test kit.

Last edited:
sorry may this be moved to Corydora section? I may need a little more help since I've decided to try and raise the fry!

thankyou! i'll do a 30% change tonight, will be a bit tricky considering how ive got the net they're in trapped in the lid of the tank hood :S
theyre still alive as of this mornin, seem quite happy hiding amongst the java moss. will have to get another tank set up for them asap!

Managed the water change last night.. theyre still alive! :hey: How long does it take for these to grow to a good size? i.e. one where they won't be eaten. I mean, the ones we buy in the lfs.. how old are they roughly?

Update: All three are still going strong. I ve picked up a heater and air filter and theyre now alone in a little 18 litre plastic bottle! woohoo :lol:

Your so lucky!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Ive been waiting for mine to hatch! Keep us posted on how they do :thanks:

Most reactions

Back