its taking too much time !!

I have a 20 gallon aquarium where I raise all the fry that I get. Right now I have over 200 guppy, molly, and platy fry. I have some that are growing at a rapid pace especially some of my sunset mollies that were born two weeks ago. My platies are also some that are growing fast, I have been seeing what colors and patterns they are going to be. I have several wagtails(red, yellow, silver) and I think one is going to be a Coral platy which are beautiful. Oh I forgot I have one white mickey mouse platy and several black mollies that I put in my main tank with the adults about a week ago and I see that they are getting slightly bigger. Trial and error is the name of the game here. I have had about one fry per day die besides those I find in there that are developed wrong, "I feed them to my tetras and tiger barbs!" I am thinking about selling mine too and I have a close friend that owns a LFS so I should get something out of it. Maybe the money that I have paid in buying all these fish due to trial and error on breeding which is close to about $200 on fish alone in the past four months! :crazy:

rrey82 said:
I have a 20 gallon aquarium where I raise all the fry that I get. Right now I have over 200 guppy, molly, and platy fry. I have some that are growing at a rapid pace especially some of my sunset mollies that were born two weeks ago. My platies are also some that are growing fast, I have been seeing what colors and patterns they are going to be. I have several wagtails(red, yellow, silver) and I think one is going to be a Coral platy which are beautiful. Oh I forgot I have one white mickey mouse platy and several black mollies that I put in my main tank with the adults about a week ago and I see that they are getting slightly bigger. Trial and error is the name of the game here. I have had about one fry per day die besides those I find in there that are developed wrong, "I feed them to my tetras and tiger barbs!" I am thinking about selling mine too and I have a close friend that owns a LFS so I should get something out of it. Maybe the money that I have paid in buying all these fish due to trial and error on breeding which is close to about $200 on fish alone in the past four months! :crazy:
[snapback]914408[/snapback]​
wow !!! why that much money? :eek: none of these fish are expensive, not even the uncommon-colored ones, at least not were I live. Wish you luck with them thoug.

Umm, I had another batch of fry yesterday and amazingly most of them managed to survive at the main tank and have been moved into the fry bucket, but I havent had the time to ask the LFS guy about this so If he accepts to take a second batch I will take my chances and raise these babies too after reading all of your comments, if he doesn't accepts them I will unfortunately give them to my bros turtles along with the minnows that he has inthere with them.

So this second test run will help me decide for sure if I can actually take something out of this to help me improve my current tanks (little by little) or at least have enough to buy their monthly food and if I like the outcome I might even get more colourfull mollies cause I only have dalmation and silver-whites. Maybe these new guys are stronger than the last batch cause they managed to survive for several hours with 7 cannibals + their mother B)

and well.... if I don't like the outcome its pretty ovbious I will have to move one of my mollies to a different tank to stop breeding them :*)

see ya

Good luck with them! Usually if they do their own natural survival of the fittest, you get the strongest ones, and therefore the best ones to grow up.

I don't know if you'll actually make any money off them, though. I usually just get enough to help pay for their food. But you never know. :)

And I'm sure you know, just moving one sex doesn't stop the fry for a good many months.

Best of luck! :D

yea ... I know that it could take like 4 months or so for fry to stop being born if I move the male to another tank but at least they will stop eventually :) so, if I decide to move one of them I would get at least 2 more girls of a different color and put the male by himslef at the other community tank I have

Try at least 6. They store sperm for up to 7 pregnancies...and each pregnancy is about a month, sometimes more, so you do the maths! :p

The plan sounds good though. Females usually like being together, and having a little group...so they'll be happy. Just be aware, any new females you get will most likely be pregnant too!

Annastasia said:
Try at least 6. They store sperm for up to 7 pregnancies...and each pregnancy is about a month, sometimes more, so you do the maths! :p

The plan sounds good though. Females usually like being together, and having a little group...so they'll be happy. Just be aware, any new females you get will most likely be pregnant too!
[snapback]916849[/snapback]​
yea, I'm aware of the other females that could be pregnant and thanks for telling me that it could last 6 to 7 months for that !!!! :crazy: hehehehe ... we'll se what happends

Most reactions

Back