Its crab like 50p size quick with hairy legs???

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SiMoNiNnEeD

Reaction score
I think it has arrived with a star poloyp that I put in my tank?? Its very quick and is hiding under the coral in a crevice. It has bluey purple front claws and the rest of the legs are hairy. It is well disguised in the live rock.

Does any one know what its is and should I remove it????

It reacts very quickly to movement.

I am new to marine so please help

Can be hard without a pic. It is easy to be wrog on crab IDs

When you said blue claws, the firs thing tht come to mind was an arrow crab, but they are not hairy and don't tend to hide. In fact, there are few species of crabs that actually do hide.

Could b a shrmp also??

GL

No its not an arrow as it is flat shaped. the shell is blended to look like the live rock also.

Its is very quick mover and doesnt seem to like open spaces

Does it look like this?

crabid.jpg

If so then i got rid. This picture was taken just after it decided to reove the face off my beloved Flame Angel :angry: :sad: :byebye: :rip:

I dont beleive that any crab is truely reefsafe though. They are all opportunistic and if an easy food source can be found then they wil take it.

Whilst most crabs arent hunters (i dont beleive the one here was), if a fish is unwell or blunderinto it then they will react.

On this forum it appears that you must upload to a webspace and then link to it. (thats what i do here anyway)

unless you give us all your login id and password, that link doesn't help much...

Most reactions

Back