Is This True

balapickerel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
before i found this site i was looking for some info on guppies and read that guppies should be kept in a strong current so thier muscle mass builds and thier tails don't get so droopy, so i was wondering if this is a must or if it just makes the fish look nicer?

It's a good thought but I don't know how "needed" it is. They probably just said that to make healthy fish. I think the fish would eventually be too tired to survive long enough.

this is totaly up to the fish keep'r i have 1 male 2 female guppps and i have a strong water pump and mines on full blast lol if they arnt in a mood to swim they go and chill on the rock where the current dont flow. best of both worlds :flex:

There are a lot of wild things flying around about 'cultivated' guppies. Essentially there is no 'correct' way to keep a fish that has been changed by humans to be wildly out of its natural proportions. Guppies that have huge tails are eventually going to end up with L-bend spines and resulting health complaints, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. That's why I personally have a major bee in my bonnet about people who continue to breed these deformed fish at all, but this is not the place for a rant.

Heavy filter current is a MAJOR disadvantage to fish with heavy finnage. The fins will be shredded by the water and put a hugely increased strain on the fish's immune system. If you want to keep them, make the filtration as gentle as possible, use sand or rounded gravel (NEVER sharp or ungraded gravel) and if you are using fake plants, use silk not plastic to avoid fin damage.

lol filter is high but not in a intence way lol

My tank has a high current at the top but the ferns help break it up a bit lower down.

Nope.... I breed 1000's of guppies in a totally "still" environment..... no vigourous aeration or filtration, and they are healthy strong individuals, but from my own observation, I will say that guppy males do develop a lot better if reared seperately away from the females.... Dunno what contributes to that but it is evident!

Yea I don't think they need any current to thrive. Some guppies may like it for fun iguess but I don't think its necessary.

i allready got the guppies, i have two males, one is all yellow and the other mostly orange with few multicolour specs, both have very nice snakskin! i also got four females, three of witch are pregnant but one has a pale internal spot that has swollen and slightly bent her body sideways, i have put her in a seperate tank to quarrentine her but i dan't know what it is or how to get rid of it, please help!

no idea, i just bought them from a store on friday, but the one i'm talking about under an inch in lenght and is in the early pregnacy stage(she hasen't started to get a bigger belly and there are only a few black spots in her gravid patch)
i did some more research and i am pretty sure it is itch, so i have raised the water in the tank a few degrees and added a tiny little bit of salt, the guppy is acting fine and but is showing no changes yet

my male guppy loves the filter the only time hes not swimming in the current is when hes eating or trying to mate with the females lol

i did some more research and i am pretty sure it is itch, so i have raised the water in the tank a few degrees and added a tiny little bit of salt, the guppy is acting fine and but is showing no changes yet

Yech!!!.... Nope!!... Ich (& not itch) is recognizable at first observation......Something in your setup is not tallying......Give us explicit details,.... & we may be able to help.

Most reactions

Back