Is This The New Thing We've Been Looking For?

micko

drive it like you stole it.
Reaction score
Just reading a magazine here and there is a product called Bactuur Gel.
Its said, and I quote "contains millions of selected live bacteria and for maximum performance two specific types are included: Ammonia Oxidising Bacteria (AOB) and Nitrate Oxidising Bacteria (NOB)"

Its said that the gel sticks to the filter sponge and works for both tropical and colwater aquarium filters.

I'm wondering how they keep it live and of course, I'm wondering if it works.

something similar already exists - MA seem to sell it. It is kept in the fridge (to prevent die-off) and contains many little gel balls.

Can't for the life of me remember the name though.

EDIT - remembered - Bactinettes.

Keeping it alive is simple enough, the bacteria can form a shell around them that keeps them alive for long periods of time, they do have expiry dates and there are products at the moment that work, Dr Tim's products work, and there used to be a product called Biospira that worked too.

I'm not sure what to think to be honest.
I may try one of these products when I get my new tank, I'm in no rush to get it up and running anyway.

Which one would be the better one?

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, as I said, I'm in no rush to set up the tank.

I will report back when the tank is here and I've got one of the products, and when I've convinced my girlfriend to let me set it up.

What product does everyone think would be better to try?

Well if it were me I'd use the Dr Tim's as it has been proven to work if the instructions are followed, I'm not sure if it's for sale in the UK however.

Eco labs (microbe-lift) makes a Gel filter inoculate that i can say works well.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/7909639/ecological-lab-4oz-gel-filter

Bactuur gel is really good, i've personally found it to work but i have hadmixed results with helping others use it to cycle.... mind you, thats because these people want 'instant cycle' in a bottle :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The gel balls being thought of, are they Evolution Aqua's "pure"? they are brilliant :good: they are like frogspawn lol though i use the pond ones, same price as tank ones and 10x more concentrated, these are *the* best thing for making marine tanks cycle! put neat ammonia in after 5days and the readings barely wobbled at all!

Most reactions

Back