Is this polyster stuffing safe for fish? Walmart Canada

Berksou

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a bag of polyster stuffing from Walmart today as attached in the picture. They say it's 100 polyster. Is there someone in Canada who tried it?
999999-772501704540.jpg

It is probably ok but....

Your really want to use poly batting rather than stuffing. The stuffing will make a mess, bits will end up in your tank, and it's a pain to change out. I've used both, there is no comparison.

I've used poly stuffing out of pillows before and it was fine. Can't promise that it's always safe...but I suspect it's OK. I'd rinse it really well in hot water and not use it if it has any funky chemical smells.

I would just buy floss that is made for aquariums. That way you know it will always be safe for your tank.

I've used this for several months, crystal clear water and inexpensive, (anecdotal but) no ill effects on fish.

Thank you all! So I understand I should be avoinding this anyway. What do you suggest as fine particles filtering media to repalce this floss? Please note that I am using a spong as well and a biomax.

PET is PET. This pillow/toy stuffing stuff is the same PET but sold for more as filter floss. The only downside to PET is when you chuck the stuff in the bin when its all gunked up. Better to rinse it out as many times as possible.

I've used plenty handfuls of pillow stuffing Polyester in my filters for years and have read countless fishkeepers who do thr same on many forums.

Depending on what your filter is like, if it can hold the wool without it escaping then great, otherwise you're better with batting.

If you're not sure, see if you can find the datasheet for the polywool in question (ive yet to see one that doesn't say non-toxic). To be fair, this stuff is sold as toy stuffing... pretty sure that will need to be non-toxic for that purpose!

PET is PET. This pillow/toy stuffing stuff is the same PET but sold for more as filter floss. The only downside to PET is when you chuck the stuff in the bin when its all gunked up. Better to rinse it out as many times as possible.

I've used plenty handfuls of pillow stuffing Polyester in my filters for years and have read countless fishkeepers who do thr same on many forums.

Depending on what your filter is like, if it can hold the wool without it escaping then great, otherwise you're better with batting.

If you're not sure, see if you can find the datasheet for the polywool in question (ive yet to see one that doesn't say non-toxic). To be fair, this stuff is sold as toy stuffing... pretty sure that will need to be non-toxic for that purpose!
Thank you! The only thing I am afraid of is that they say (on the product website not on the product bag) that it is mildew proof. I have read in other forums that this means it contains a toxic chemical for this purpose. Having two days of headache, I decided to get rid of it and went to petsmart to buy a universal fiber pad as well as a sponge for my HOB inlet. As a conclusion this is what I did:

1- Sponge place on the inlet of my HOB filter (first stage).
2- Sponge inside the filter cabinet
3- Filter fiber pad (for fine particles)
4- Biomax rings (for biological filtration)
5- Activated carbon bag (for chemical filtration)

I HOPE that this will be enough for my fish though I start to be worried now that the sponge on the inlet will not allow the debris to enter the filter and get trapped.....Is everyone new to the hobby like me getting too many question, doing too many searches, I am afraid I will give up at some point.

Thank you! The only thing I am afraid of is that they say (on the product website not on the product bag) that it is mildew proof. I have read in other forums that this means it contains a toxic chemical for this purpose. Having two days of headache, I decided to get rid of it and went to petsmart to buy a universal fiber pad as well as a sponge for my HOB inlet. As a conclusion this is what I did:

1- Sponge place on the inlet of my HOB filter (first stage).
2- Sponge inside the filter cabinet
3- Filter fiber pad (for fine particles)
4- Biomax rings (for biological filtration)
5- Activated carbon bag (for chemical filtration)

I HOPE that this will be enough for my fish though I start to be worried now that the sponge on the inlet will not allow the debris to enter the filter and get trapped.....Is everyone new to the hobby like me getting too many question, doing too many searches, I am afraid I will give up at some point.
Personally I'd put the bio filtration stuff before the polypad. The first stage sponge(s) will help stop the bio media getting too gunked up, but I'd put the polypad on as last stage. You can do without carbon. Just keep it in your cupboard should you need to ever remove chemicals such as medicines. You can fill the gap with more poly or sponge media.

I think polyester just happens to be resistant to mildew due to its waterproof properties, so its a good selling point i suppose. But I fully understand your concern.

Have you cycled this tank btw?

We love conscientious beginners like you! Folk who actually care about the welfare of the fish. It should be enjoyable though. Take your time and just enjoy the research side of things. At the same time, you can't know everything from reading books and forums, a good 80% comes from experience. You'll learn your own best ways of doing things. And we're always bouncing ideas off eachother in here

I run the following in my filter, in order from inlet to outlet

Sponge pre-filter covering intake tube
Bio sponge
Poly batting
Ceramic bio-rings

Most reactions

Back