Is This Overstocked ?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ronananator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
this is my juwel rio 240 tank is this overstocked ?

Black belt:
245hpqg.jpg

Red oscar:
1498rc8.jpg

Jack dempsey:
11scl7n.jpg

siames alga sucker:

NO PICTURES

bala shark:
4tsxhu.jpg

freash water crab:

No PICTURES

Sailfin pleco:

No Pictures

The 240 is the same as mine and is only 4 foot, the bala sharks should be kept in something longer, ideally 6 foot.

Are you not concerned the crab is going to grab a fish and damage/kill it?

I wouldnt say its over stocked, but im not the best person to comment, only ever kept small fish. :)

It is potentially for a 240 litre if thats what it is plus an odd stocking combo. I would imagine the crab will be oscar food soon, the bala shark won;t be happy on its own, does better in groups and as someone said needs a longer tank

It is not overstocked, but the stocking is poor: the oscar, bala shark and sailfin pleco (depending one the exact species) should all have larger homes, bala sharks are schooling fish. Those fish are unlikely to grow to their full potential in a tank that small.

ya i want to bring the bala shark back so bad he is so depressed also - the bala shark i shouldnt have any other problems with filteration our stunting should i ?

thanks ronan

p.s i got a fluval 405

ya i want to bring the bala shark back so bad he is so depressed also - the bala shark i shouldnt have any other problems with filteration our stunting should i ?

thanks ronan

p.s i got a fluval 405

not sure hwat you mean but if people are correctly advising you that your tank is too small for bala sharks and especially as a single specimen why would you still want to bring him to your tank?

I used to look after bala sharks in 6*3*3 ft tanks and some of those were stunted (although considerably better than bala sharks in smaller aquariums and some individuals were ok). Personally, I don't think it is a species for the average home aquarium.

thanks ronan

p.s i got a fluval 405

not sure hwat you mean but if people are correctly advising you that your tank is too small for bala sharks and especially as a single specimen why would you still want to bring him to your tank?

ah sorry for very bad wording there i want to bring him back to the pet store..... although i might try and find a bigger home for him as im sure if i bring him back to pet store some little kid is going to buy him for a bowl our something ....

once more question will the black belt eat feeder guppies ?

thanks ronan

p.s i got a fluval 405

once more question will the black belt eat feeder guppies ?

by feeder guppies do you mean you want to feed it live guppies or will it eat guppies that happen to live in the same tank?

You shouldn;t be feeding it guppies anyway and it would be costly and pointless. The food available for aquarium fish is brilliant now and theres no need to feed live fish especially for a black belt

ok well it was just gonna be a treat when my other 55l gets over crowded with guppie babys and i was just woundering would he eat them when i would be feeding them to my oscar =]

In my opinion, you should work out whether a tank is overstocked by the adult sizes of the fish and not by the current size.

In this case, yes, you are overstocked. You should consider a rethought stocking plan or an upgrade for the future :good:

James.

thanks a million my black belt didntreallywork out he bit a big whole out of my oscar so he went back to fish shop is ther anything else i can put in instead ?

Why don't you sort out the rest of the stocking first?

Most reactions

Back