Is This Normal?

fishkers

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have an Algae Eater that keeps chasing my Albino Cory. My Albino i've had for a while and he has gotten quite big. I don't think its right because the algae eater keeps going after my cory and like landing his mouth on him. I think he is starting to hurt my cory because then my cory flips out and swims rapidly all over the tank. Is this right?

I had that with an algae eater he fighting for territory as the tank on the small side.
I would rehome the plec.

I have an Algae Eater that keeps chasing my Albino Cory. My Albino i've had for a while and he has gotten quite big. I don't think its right because the algae eater keeps going after my cory and like landing his mouth on him. I think he is starting to hurt my cory because then my cory flips out and swims rapidly all over the tank. Is this right?

What kind of "algae eater" is it? If its a CAE, then thats your problem. They can be very aggressive.

Here is the best picture I could get of him.

Algae.jpg

What would you suggest I do with him?

Rehome him or ask the lfs if they will take it back.

Okay heres another question. How big do Common Algae Eaters get? In the fish stores they say 4 inches but i've read 12 inches but I think some people were confusing them with Pleco's.

So if this is a version of a chinese algae eater, what would be good tankmates for him???

I would get rid of him. They are nasty. I wouldnt keep him sorry, because every fish that goes in the tank with that guy is in danger. My gf she had 1 and it attacked everything in the tank, especially when they get full grown which yours appears to be. Sorry if my words were abit harsh

i had to get rid of mine as he was terrizing my other tankmates the paradise and the black moor ... i would take it back to the store and exchange it i was told it was a algae eater and grown only 4cm but then i found out the hard way and i brought it back and he let me change it with a common algue eater so im good now ..... if u want to keep him then take out the slow moving fishes and re home them or vise versa

how many cories do you have?
CAE are bad fish for communties, usally only good on their own, swap for something else at fish store.

Here is the best picture I could get of him.

View attachment 43421

What would you suggest I do with him?
Rehome him :good:

So if this is a version of a chinese algae eater, what would be good tankmates for him???
Yes this is a CAE,no argument about it.Shops just sell them as common algae eaters because they are common.

You CAE will kil everyhing in a mattr of time. imo they can only be kept in a tank of there own.
Not really,they do fine is semi aggressive setups
They would never reach 12 inches in tanks,if you ever see it prove me rong.Common adult size is about 4-5 inches.

Most reactions

Back