Is this filter's intake too large for a shrimp tank?

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My 4 little tanks all have various sponge/foam filters in them. I recently picked up the Aqueon X-Small QuietFlow E Internal Power Filter, since it was small and didn't cost too much. Of course, now I see product reviews are mixed... People on small budgets should NOT have so many hobbies!

ANYHOO, my question is for experienced shrimp parents: Is the intake too large to keep various age/size shrimp out? If I wrap something around the intake, won't it prevent the filter from sucking up debris like I want it to?

Curious...

Thought of that... I can finagle something like that, BUT won't it keep out the debris I want to filter out?

Picked up a small filter media bag this morning, just to see if it can be used with the filter. It didn't cost much so if it doesn't work out, no biggie. I still think a pre-filter small enough to keep baby shrimp out would block all the floaty shmoo I want to get filtered!

Picked up a small filter media bag this morning, just to see if it can be used with the filter. It didn't cost much so if it doesn't work out, no biggie. I still think a pre-filter small enough to keep baby shrimp out would block all the floaty shmoo I want to get filtered!
My shrimp tank has a pre filter. Between the pre filter and once a week siphoning water exchange with gravel vacuum, and the tank and substrate are clean.

Wellp, my experiment didn't work... here are some photos

1728172952539.png

Covered the intake perfectly!
1728172984019.png

Make 2 holes for the suction cups... even though I used the hanger
1728173033140.png

Looked silly but the sock kept the baby shrimp out. They all swarmed over to inspect it!
1728173112268.png

BUT, the next day, the outflow was rather weak. It also seemed like the water level inside the filter was way too high. AND there was a shrimp hanging out in the spout! The filter itself turned brown just overnight, too.

Did the bag restrict water flow too much? Did I have the entire unit too low in the tank?

Thoughts?

I have good luck protecting baby shrimp with a cheap HOB filter and a sponge prefilter on the intake tube.

I use semi dense black foam, I worried about it blocking the function but really its the opposite
Prefilter sponge is only about $2.50, just grab one of those or do like I do and snip/force a hole through some semi dense sponge

Attachments

• IMG_20241005_172630.jpg
    IMG_20241005_172630.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 13
yeah, I have been looking at the HOB styles... I don't have a lot of space, and the tank isn't that large, so I may try one of the less expensive types first, adding a pre-filter. I just liked the idea of being able to tuck this internal one into a corner and not having to listen to bubbles while watching TV!

I use semi dense black foam... grab one of those or do like I do and snip/force a hole through some semi dense sponge
Thing is, last I looked, trying to add it to the inside of this one is impossible. The impeller looks like it is very close to the intake. I picked up something new to try today, so I'll take pics just for the record when I give it a try.

Thing is, last I looked, trying to add it to the inside of this one is impossible. The impeller looks like it is very close to the intake. I picked up something new to try today, so I'll take pics just for the record when I give it a try.
Ahhh, I didnt realize it was an internal without a siphon tube.
I use it over the siphon tube.
A few babies get through but mine are reproducing so fast its hardly noticable so i dump them back in the tank

If you can put something in the bag that will serve as spacers, that will prevent the bag from being in direct contact with the intake protection grid, could be enough to prevent it to clog too fast.

I know this is a European brand but is there anything like the Aquael Pat Mini filter filter where you are

Basically it's a sponge with a powerhead on top. This is what I have in my shrimp tank. There's nowhere for a shrimp to get sucked in, though they do spend some time crawling over the sponge looking for bits of food stuck to the surface.

I know this is a European brand but is there anything like the Aquael Pat Mini filter filter where you are

Basically it's a sponge with a powerhead on top. This is what I have in my shrimp tank. There's nowhere for a shrimp to get sucked in, though they do spend some time crawling over the sponge looking for bits of food stuck to the surface.
Thats a neat little filter. I may grab one for my Betta tank.

The filter also has a flow rate adjuster which makes it suitable for bettas :)

Most reactions

Back