Is this cycled?

O

On_a_dishy

Hello, Everyone! I have been away from fish keeping for a couple of years and forgotten almost everything, so I'm wondering if I've just got lucky with my alchemy or if I'm still at the start and nothing is actually happening yet.

Current parameters are (34L Fluval Flex):

GH 180
KH 180
PH 7.5 / 7 (coming down I think because of an almond leaf)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40 (up from 20 yesterday)
Ammonia 0
Temp 27 C / 80 F
There is a mild bloom (see photo)

The thing is it's only day 4. Here is what I've been doing:

Day 1
Dechlorinated water in (Seachem Prime)
Seachem Stability

Day 2
A little does of Stability
Tiny bits of ham into tank to push up ammonia

Day 3
A little dose of Stabiity
Added: Moss balls, almond leaf, decor, cleaned pebbles from my garden, 2 plants, red tiger lotus bulb.
3 x Evolution Aqua Pure Balls
Tiny sliver of meat (for ammonia again)

Day 4 (Today)
No Stabiity
2 betta pellets (for ammonia again).

Have I managed to force a quick cycle?

Attachments

• IMG_9229.jpg
    IMG_9229.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 40
Ah - ammonia is going up. At least I think it is... I'm reading the test strip using artificial light, but things are starting to make a bit more sense now.

Ah - ammonia is going up. At least I think it is... I'm reading the test strip using artificial light, but things are starting to make a bit more sense now.
It probably took some time for the meat you added to start decaying and adding ammonia to the water. The nitrates could have been in your source water to begin with.

Will Seachem Stability provide the bacteria necessary to metabolise the ammonia into nitrate?
Or is it more of a nitrite to nitrate bacteria?

Thanks for the advice - I've just bought some safe start and will add it today.
"Stability" claims to contain "a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate". I looked everywhere but couldn't find the names of the bacteria they use - my understanding is that the ammonia-to-nitrite conversion relies on ammonia oxidizing bacteria.
So does Seachem's "Stability" only contain the nitrite-oxidizing bacteria?

From my understanding, all bacterial starters can use the correct ammonia eaters, but the use of the correct nitrite eaters is copyrighted and only the two in post #9 can use the correct species.

In the FAQ's on Seachem's Stability website page, it says their product contains bacteria spores - but the bacteria we want to grow do not form spores.

Seriously that there's a patent for NOB in biological accelerators?

I read also good reviews from the FritzZyme® TurboStart® 700 Freshwater. Well, I also saw good user reviews even from the Seachem Stability for the cycling process. How could this be explained? I tested a biological accelerator and, honestly, I don't know if the product did some difference.

Indeed, the bacteria have four phases during the bacterial growth curve and the autotrophic bacteria has a slower growth process than the heterotrophic bacteria.

@TwoTankAmin can explain it better than me as he's done a lot of research but here is a list of Dr Hovanec's patents

That's another forum, and as with this one, different members have different views.

We need @TwoTankAmin 's comment on that article as he knows more about the research on these bacteria than just about anyone on this forum.

Most reactions

Back