Is There A Small Fish That Will Eat Algae Off The Glass?

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
I have a 30g tank, with the stocking in my siggy. I've noticed lots of algae on the glass recently, and it's tough to scrubb off. Is there a fish that will eat it for me, that stays under 3 inches? My plec will be moved to a larger tank very soon. If it helps, the water conditions are very stable.
Thanks,
Leah

An Otto might do it, but your best bet is a snail. Specifically a Nerite. they work wonders on algae on glass.

Pitbull plecos supposedly stay under 3". Some species of bulldog pleco don't get much over 3" (Chaetostoma thompsoni, the one they frequently carry at Petsmart, tops out around 4". Prefers but doesn't absolutely require cooler water - 72ish - and really likes a good current.)

Your best bet is definately a group of Otos not a single one or snails. I had a 30gal high tank breeding a pair of Kribs and I suddenly got that much that I could barely see in. I bought 3 otos an within a week it had nearly all gone, after a while it was sparkling again and I didn't have to clean it off myself.

However it would be best to get off wehat u can b4 adding them, then they will just keep it under control after that.

It really depends on your situation. I have a 30G tank that has an out of control algae problem. I have 9 otos and 2 rubber lip plecos now, and they don't have any visible impact on the algae. Possibly they are eating much smaller, and less visible algae that is forming, but they don't do much to the existing algae. At least the kind I have.

otos won't eat hair algae, although they are great for brown algae. I've heard pitbull plecs are great, they are only about 6cm long an can be kept in pairs

I read the article, it's spot algae. Will any fish get that off?

can't you buy one of those scrapers with a handle? It consists of a razor blade in a holder. They will remove even tough stuff like paint splashes.

Do you think they'll get the algae off? It's really tough, I can barely get it off with my fingernails.

Okay, I'll buy one as soon as I can. Do otos eat algae off of live plants?

Most reactions

Back