Is one Double Sponge Water Filter big enough for lightly stocked 10 gallon

denogginizer

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for reading.
I have three ten gallon tanks and each one has two double sponge water filters in them.
I would like to simplify and use just one filter in each. Does that seem adequate?
  • Tank one: 3 Celestial Pearl Danios and a few Assassin Snails
  • Tank two: 2 mystery snails and the occasional pregnant shrimp
  • Tank three: About 10 Cherry shrimp and the occasional CPD and Cory fry.
This is the type of filter I'm referring to:
sponge_filter.jpg

The single sponge will be adequate in a 10g tank stocked as you detail. Fish suited to small tanks tend to require quiet water, not currents, so a sponge filter is usually the best choice (unless of course was does not bother with a filter at all and relies on the plants, which can work depending). I have the single sponge in my 10g, and use this dual sponge (as pictured) in my 20g, 29g, and for several years my 33g and 40g tanks. All had small forest fish and this was ideal.

The single sponge will be adequate in a 10g tank stocked as you detail. Fish suited to small tanks tend to require quiet water, not currents, so a sponge filter is usually the best choice (unless of course was does not bother with a filter at all and relies on the plants, which can work depending). I have the single sponge in my 10g, and use this dual sponge (as pictured) in my 20g, 29g, and for several years my 33g and 40g tanks. All had small forest fish and this was ideal.
Many thanks for the detailed response!

Hi all,
Thanks for reading.
I have three ten gallon tanks and each one has two double sponge water filters in them.
I would like to simplify and use just one filter in each. Does that seem adequate?
  • Tank one: 3 Celestial Pearl Danios and a few Assassin Snails
  • Tank two: 2 mystery snails and the occasional pregnant shrimp
  • Tank three: About 10 Cherry shrimp and the occasional CPD and Cory fry.
This is the type of filter I'm referring to:
View attachment 141978
Imo and what I actually do, all you need is a single sponge filter. (I make my own. Cost is about $1 each) 50% water change 2-3 times a week and you should have extremely clean water. Add plants if you like and it'll be even better.
I.raise guppy fry, up to twenty for about 2 months in 2.5 gallons. No problems and heavy feeding.

I’ve had two double barrelled filters in my 30G for a while now with 1 adult Medaka, 6 Juvenile Medaka and 5 Juvenile Endlers. No problems so far.
They’re good, though ones not bubbling as much so ive bought another in an an attempt to figure out where the problem lies. Filter? Pump? Air hose? Return Valves?
Water test n change tomorrow should sort it.

Ive another in my 15G Mosquito Fish (9 of).

As a filter they just look so much better than a box filter. Plus no plant or fry shredding and no electricity in the tank. What’s not to love?

They’re good, though ones not bubbling as much so ive bought another in an an attempt to figure out where the problem lies. Filter? Pump? Air hose? Return Valves?

If you have both filters connected to the same air pump and using a valve unit to divide the air, it may be what I had just today. For some reason, the air to the 20g tank stopped, while the air to the 29g was going full force. I twiddled the valves and got them balanced again. I've had this occur a couple times in the past. Tweaking the valve may solve it.

I have sponge filters in all seven of my tanks. My biggest tank is a 20 high and the smallest is a 2 1/2 gallon. I spliced a "T" and a control valve into the airline so that I can bleed air off. No need to have them running full blast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 45

Most reactions

Back